DoorDash is the largest food delivery platform based in the US. It is one of the best gig economy platforms available and you can earn money as a Dasher by delivery food to from restaurants to their customers. Moreover, Dashers also get to keep 100% of all tips, and top Dashers can consistently earn up to $150 per day. The hours are also flexible and you can work whenever your schedule allows.
- Earn up to $25 per hour + tips
- No experience or training required
- Decline deliveries that you don’t want
- Get a 2% cash back with DasherDirect
- Earnings can vary greatly depending on the time of day, the day of the week, and the location
- Vehicle-related expenses can add up to $5 to $10 per day, but they are deducatbale on your taxes
My Video Review Using DoorDash
In this review, we tested DoorDash for 5 hours over 7 days. DoorDash is a legitimate food delivery service that allows you to order meals from local restaurants and have them conveniently delivered to your doorstep. Here’s what we found:
My Experience Earning Money with DoorDash
Here’s how much money you can expect to earn with DoorDash, including tips in the first 5 active hours, according to my experience:
|Time||Active Time Earnings|
|Average per hour||$22.80|
Active time: The time that you are actively working on a delivery. This includes the time that you are driving to the restaurant, picking up the order, and delivering the order. It does not include the time that you are waiting for orders.
My Experience Cashing Out Money With DoorDash
|Payout Method||Payout Schedule|
|Direct Deposit||Once a week, on Wednesdays|
|Fast Pay||Once a day, for a $1.99 fee|
|DasherDirect||Instantly, with no fees|
|Tips||Added to your earnings a few days after the delivery is completed|
I linked my bank account to DoorDash for a weekly automatic payment system, offering a hassle-free and cost-free way to receive my earnings. Money was deposited every Wednesday, taking around 3 days to process.
How to Start Earning With DoorDash?
Step 1: Sign Up – Download the DoorDash driver app; provide basic information, including your zip code, phone number, name, social security number, birthday, and driver’s license number. Complete a background check and receive an activation kit.
Step 2: Schedule or Dash Now – After activation, schedule shifts up to seven days in advance or use Dash Now if enough deliveries are available.
Step 3: Deliver Orders – Pick up food from the restaurant and deliver it to the customer. Some orders require payment with the provided Red Card.
Step 4: Confirm Delivery – Once the customer receives the order, click Confirm Delivery, view earnings summary, and continue to accept the next job.
10 DoorDash Hacks
Hack 1# – Recommended cars – any electric vehicle or e-bike, Toyota Prius, Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid, Toyota Corolla, Mitsubishi Mirage or Chevy Bolt.
Hack 2# – The best time to deliver orders – is during peak lunch periods from 11 am to 1.30 pm and dinner from 4/5 pm to 9 pm. Also, Friday & Saturday nights and Sunday (sometimes Monday) all day.
Hack 3# – Best weather to deliver orders – rain, snow or cold- because people are likelier to stay home and use delivery services.
Hack 4# – Key factors to get more tips – be presentable, inform the customer of any delays, keep warm and cold food separate, and read customer instructions on where and how to leave the order.
Hack 5# – Areas to work – find densely populated areas (City-data may help) and stay within the same area if possible; this will reduce travel time and maximize your earning potential.
Hack 6# – Best orders to accept – do not worry about the acceptance rate, and never take an order that pays less than $1 per mile. Accept only good orders – $2+ per mile, orders over $6, orders next to restaurants and stacked deliveries.
Hack 7# – Pre-Schedule your deliveries – plan your work and you will get more orders compared to “Dash Now” option.
Hack 10# – Optimize your route – use navigation apps like Google Maps or Waze to plan the most efficient delivery route, minimizing travel time and maximizing earnings.
Is DoorDash Legit?
|Review Website||DoorDash Review|
|Trustpilot||1.2 out of 5 stars|
|Sitejabber||1.16 out of 5 stars|
|Apple App Store||4.8 out of 5 stars|
|G2||3.2 out of 5 stars|
|Positive Remarks||Flexible working opportunities||High pay for delivery drivers||More money during peak hours|
|Most Common Complaints||Unpredictable earnings||Long wait times||DoorDash’s app can sometimes be buggy|
What Sets DoorDash Apart from Its Competitors?
|Pay Per Hour||Up to $25 + tips||Up to $15 + tips||Up to $21 + tips||Up to $22|
|Best For||Highest-paying gig jobs||Free daily withdrawals||Grocery delivery||Weekly payments|
DoorDash sets itself apart from competitors in the following ways:
- Flexible scheduling: DoorDash drivers can choose when they want to work, which can be an excellent option for people who have other commitments or wish to work around their schedule.
- Compensation: DoorDash drivers are paid per delivery and can earn tips from customers. This means that drivers can potentially make more money than they would with a traditional hourly job.
- Benefits: DoorDash offers a few benefits to its drivers, including health insurance and paid time off. This is not always the case with other food delivery companies.
- Technology: DoorDash uses several innovative technologies to make the job easier for drivers. For example, DoorDash uses GPS tracking to let drivers know where they are going, and it also offers a “Dasher app” that allows drivers to track their earnings and schedule their shifts.
DoorDash Review Verdict: Is DoorDash Worth It?
DoorDash is one of the best platforms that you can use to find the best gig jobs to make some extra cash in your free time. In addition, you can also work as a delivery driver full-time to make money.
You can earn up to $25 per hour + tips as a delivery driver. You can also keep 100% of all the tips you get from customers. This enables you to earn more money by providing good customer service and making deliveries on time.
Moreover, the platform also makes payments to Dashers once per week. Alternatively, you can also withdraw your earnings daily, although you will need to pay a $1.99 fee each time.
To summarize it, I recommend using DoorDash app for people who:
- Students: DoorDash is ideal for students looking for flexible work schedules that can fit around their classes and study time.
- Part-time workers: It’s a great option for individuals who want to earn extra income alongside their existing jobs or commitments.
- Stay-at-home parents: DoorDash allows stay-at-home parents to work flexible hours while caring for their children.
- Retirees: Retired individuals can benefit from working as DoorDash drivers, as it offers a flexible way to stay active and supplement their retirement income.
- Individuals needing immediate income: DoorDash can be a viable option for people who need to start earning money quickly due to unforeseen circumstances or financial pressures.
What is DoorDash?
DoorDash is an online food delivery platform that enables customers to order deliveries from restaurants and select grocery stores. The platform is available in over 850 throughout North America, and users can use the app to place orders on-demand.
The company has been around since 2013; its headquarters are in San Francisco, California.
How much can you make with DoorDash?
As a delivery driver with DoorDash, you can expect to earn up to $25 per hour + tips. However, your earnings might be lower as a beginner since it may take longer for you to complete each delivery. As you get more familiar with your local neighborhood, you can complete deliveries faster and increase your earnings.
In addition, the company allows Dashers to keep 100% of the tips they earn. Thus, you can also increase your earnings by providing excellent service.
You can also maximize your earnings by delivering during peak hours, such as lunch and dinner.
Here are driver’s reported average salaries from the largest job marketplaces:
|Pay per Hour||$19.20||$19.88||$17.81|
What are DoorDash requirements?
You will need to meet several requirements to join DoorDash as a Dasher.
Some of the main requirements include the following:
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Have a driver’s license number
- Must have a social security number — if dashing in the U.S.
- Pass a background check
What other DoorDash costs to consider?
As a Dasher, you will be an independent contractor. Thus, you will be responsible for all your business expenses.
Some of the main costs that you will need to pay as a Dasher include:
- Car insurance
- Vehicle maintenance
- And many more
You will also need to keep track of your income and expenses. This will enable you to properly keep track of the amount of taxes you will need to pay.
Where is DoorDash available?
DoorDash is available in over 7,000 major cities in the United States, Canada, and Australia.
Do I need prior working experience to be a DoorDash driver?
You do not need prior working experience as a delivery driver to earn money on DoorDash. Being familiar with your local neighborhood can help you complete deliveries faster and earn more.
Do I need a bank account to be Dasher?
While many Dashers use a bank account to receive their earnings, you can also withdraw your earnings daily via the Fast Pay feature as long as you have a debit card.
How can I maintain good customer ratings?
You can earn and maintain good ratings by following instructions and handling deliveries carefully. You should also ensure that you complete deliveries on time.
How to contact DoorDash support?
DoorDash has a comprehensive help page that answers many frequently asked questions from customers and Dashers. You can browse this knowledge base to find answers if you encounter issues with your payments or when you are out making deliveries.
Alternatively, you can also contact the company’s customer support hotline via 855-431-0459.