DollarBreak is reader-supported, when you sign up through links on this post, we may receive compensation. Disclosure.
DoorDash is the largest food delivery platform based in the US. It is one of the best gig economy platforms available and you can earn money as a Dasher by delivery food to from restaurants to their customers. Moreover, Dashers also get to keep 100% of all tips, and top Dashers can consistently earn up to $150 per day. The hours are also flexible and you can work whenever your schedule allows.
- Flexible working hours – choose how often and when you want to work. You can use Doordash as a side hustle to earn more money or as a full time job.
- High earnings potential – earn up to $25 per hour + tips by delivering in hotspots with high demand during peak periods such as lunch and dinner timings.
- Referral bonus – get $150 when you refer a friend to join as a Dasher and he or she completes at least 50 deliveries within 30 days of joining.
- Earn even more money with tips – Doordash does not take a cut out of the tips but instead passes on 100% of all tips to its Dashers.
- Occasional low demand – your earnings potential will be lower during periods between lunch and dinner such as 2pm to 5pm when there is low demand.
- Vehicle-related expenses – Doordash does not reimburse dashers for tolls, parking fees and other expenses. These can add up to $5 to $10 per day
Jump to: Full Review
Compare to Other Delivery Driver Jobs
Experienced delivery drivers can earn up to $21 per hour ($13 on average)
Choose when you want to work based on your schedule in 1000 cities
Delivery snacks, drinks, grocery, quick meals, cleaning supplies and more
Earn $25 per hour plus keep 100% of your tips (4000 cities in USA)
You can use any mode of transportation: your car, bicycle or motorcycle
You have the freedom to pick and choose which orders you want to accept
How Does DoorDash Work?
DoorDash offers high-paying gigs for delivery drivers (or Dashers) that you can do to earn extra cash in your free time.
As a dasher, your job would be to visit restaurants to collect food orders before delivering these orders to customers. To complete deliveries with DoorDash, you will need to own a car. However, in some cities, you may be able to complete deliveries on foot, on a bicycle, or on a motorcycle.
As a Dasher, you will earn a fee for every delivery you complete. You will be able to see how much you can make from a gig before deciding whether or not you want to accept it.
How Much Can You Make With DoorDash?
As a delivery driver with DoorDash, you can expect to earn up to $25 per hour + tips. However, your earnings might be lower as a beginner since it may take longer for you to complete each delivery. As you get more familiar with your local neighborhood, you can complete deliveries faster and increase your earnings.
In addition, the company allows Dashers to keep 100% of the tips they earn. Thus, you can also increase your earnings by providing excellent service.
You can also maximize your earnings by delivering during peak hours, such as lunch and dinner.
Here are driver’s reported average salaries from the largest job marketplaces:
|Pay per Hour||$19.20||$19.88||$17.81|
DoorDash Case Studies – How to Earn More with DoorDash?
To help you increase your earnings as a delivery driver with DoorDash, I have analyzed five different case studies:
- Case study 1 – Harry earns $700+ per week or $23 per hour, including customer tips.
- Case study 2 – Eli makes $200 every day.
- Case study 3 – Moore has made $38,231 in 1 year or $20.50 per hour.
- Case study 4 – Dasher earned $1900 in the first week.
- Case study 5 – Pedro accepted every DoorDash order and averaged over $30 per hour.
Here is what I found:
- Recommended cars – any electric vehicle or e-bike, Toyota Prius, Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid, Toyota Corolla, Mitsubishi Mirage or Chevy Bolt.
- Best time to deliver orders – during peak periods of lunch from 11 am to 1.30 pm and dinner from 4/5 pm to 9 pm. Also Friday & Saturday nights and Sunday (sometimes Monday) all day.
- Best weather to deliver orders – rain, snow or cold, because people are more likely to stay at home and use delivery services.
- Key factors to get more tips – be presentable, inform the customer of any delays, keep warm and cold food separate, read customer instructions on where and how to leave the order.
- Areas to work – find densely populated areas (Google Maps may help) and stay within the same area if possible; this will reduce travel time and maximize your earning potential.
- Best orders to accept – do not worry about the acceptance rate, and never take an order that pays less than $1 per mile. Accept only good orders – $2+ per mile, orders over $9, orders next to restaurants and stacked deliveries.
- Pre-Schedule your deliveries – plan your work in advance and you will get more orders compared to “Dash Now” option.
- Install other delivery apps – sign up for multiple delivery apps (UberEats, GrubHub, Gopuff) so that you will always have orders, even during lull periods.
- Use Para app to earn more – it shows you pickup & drop off address, total payout, mileage, house, or apartment, & more before you hit accept.
Who is DoorDash Best for?
Because the platform has a flexible scheduling system, you can work as a Dasher whenever you want, and there are no minimum hours. As a result, DoorDash is ideal for anyone who wants to earn some extra cash in their free time. It is also suitable for individuals who want a second job to supplement their incomes.
If you are looking for a gig economy job with high pay and flexible working hours, DoorDash is a good option to consider.
DoorDash Benefits: What Does DoorDash Offer?
Like most food delivery platforms, DoorDash enables you to work whenever possible. There are no minimum working hours; you can use the Dasher app to accept on-demand gigs whenever you have free time.
As a Dasher, you can fit deliveries around your schedule.
You can also increase your earnings by using the DoorDash referral bonus. DoorDash will pay you a $150 bonus for every friend you refer who joins the platform as a Dasher.
For you to get the referral bonus, your friend must complete at least 50 deliveries within 30 days of joining.
You will need to meet several requirements to join DoorDash as a Dasher.
Some of the main requirements include the following:
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Have a driver’s license number
- Must have a social security number — if dashing in the U.S.
- Pass a background check
DoorDash Costs to Consider
As a Dasher, you will be an independent contractor. Thus, you will be responsible for all your business expenses.
Some of the main costs that you will need to pay as a Dasher include:
- Car insurance
- Vehicle maintenance
- And many more
You will also need to keep track of your income and expenses. This will enable you to properly keep track of the amount of taxes you will need to pay.
DoorDash Payout Terms and Options?
After you complete a delivery, the DoorDash app will display a quick earnings summary. You can then review the summary before accepting your next gig. Your earnings will be credited to your DoorDash account.
DoorDash pays its Dashers via direct deposit to their bank accounts weekly on Mondays. Each payout will consist of your earnings from the previous Monday to Sunday. Alternatively, you can also use the Fast Pay feature to withdraw your earnings daily. To use the Fast Pay feature, you must own a debit card.
There is also a $1.99 fee for every Fast Pay withdrawal you request.
DoorDash Reviews: is DoorDash Legit?
|Review Website||DoorDash Review|
|Trustpilot||1.2 out of 5 stars|
|Sitejabber||1.16 out of 5 stars|
|Apple App Store||4.8 out of 5 stars|
|G2||3.2 out of 5 stars|
Dooradash is a legitimate platform that enables you to look for gig-type jobs. The platform has received mixed reviews from its users.
Most users generally agree that the platform offers flexible working opportunities for Dashers to make money in their free time. Many of the negative reviews that the company has received are generally from customers who experience issues with their orders.
Most drivers were satisfied with the platform’s high pay for delivery drivers and the fact that you can earn more money during peak hours.
What Are the DoorDash Pros & Cons?
- You can accept gig jobs online whenever you have free time.
- DoorDash lets you keep 100% of the tips from customers.
- You can maximize your earnings by working primarily during peak hours, including lunch and dinner hours.
- You can withdraw your earnings daily using the Fast Pay feature if you have a debit card.
- You will need to pay a $1.99 fee if you want to withdraw your earnings daily.
- You will not receive an hourly salary, and your earnings are determined based on how much you work.
How Good is DoorDash Support and Knowledge Base?
DoorDash has a comprehensive help page that answers many frequently asked questions from customers and Dashers. You can browse this knowledge base to find answers if you encounter issues with your payments or when you are out making deliveries.
Alternatively, you can also contact the company’s customer support hotline via 855-431-0459.
DoorDash Review Verdict: is DoorDash Worth It?
DoorDash is one of the best platforms that you can use to find the best gig jobs to make some extra cash in your free time. In addition, you can also work as a delivery driver full-time to make money.
You can earn up to $25 per hour + tips as a delivery driver. You can also keep 100% of all the tips you get from customers. This enables you to earn more money by providing good customer service and making deliveries on time.
Moreover, the platform also makes payments to Dashers once per week. Alternatively, you can also withdraw your earnings daily, although you will need to pay a $1.99 fee each time.
How To Start Earning With DoorDash
Step 1: Sign Up as a Driver
To sign up, you will need to download the DoorDash driver app on your Android or iOS device. You can then follow the instructions on the app to become a Dasher.
You will need to provide some basic information, including:
- Zip code
- Phone number
- Social security number
- Your driver’s license number
- And more
The company will also do a background check to ensure that you meet the requirements to become a Dasher. After you complete the background check, you will receive an activation kit that will enable you to start completing deliveries.
Step 2: Schedule a Shift or Start Dashing Immediately
After the company activates your Dasher account, you can schedule shifts that you want to work up to seven days in advance. Alternatively, you can click the Dash Now button to complete deliveries immediately.
However, note that you can only click on the Dash Now button if there are enough deliveries for pre-scheduled Dashers.
Step 3: Deliver Orders
You will need to go to the restaurant to pick up the food order before delivering it to the customer who ordered it. Most orders enable you to grab and go, although some orders require you to pay for them using the Red Card that the company provides Dashers with.
Step 4: Confirm Delivery
Once the customer has received their delivery, you can click on the Confirm Delivery button to complete the job. You will be shown your earnings summary, and you can move on to accept the next job.
Sites Like DoorDash
|Pay Per Hour||Up to $25 + tips||Up to $15 + tips||Up to $21 + tips||Up to $22|
|Best For||Highest-paying gig jobs||Free daily withdrawals||Grocery delivery||Weekly payments|
DoorDash vs. Grubhub
GrubHub is a great alternative platform to DoorDash. Both platforms feature on-demand food delivery services for customers, and you can work as a delivery driver with GrubHub to make some money on the side.
Unlike DoorDash, GrubHub pays a flat fee per order. Both DoorDash and GrubHub are available in all major US cities, and they both let their delivery drivers keep 100% of their tips.
Since DoorDash does not operate on a flat fee structure, you can earn even more during peak hours. Thus, you can try both platforms to see which works better.
DoorDash vs. GoPuff
GoPuff is an on-demand delivery platform that specializes in providing grocery delivery services. Like DoorDash, you can also join GoPuff to earn money as a delivery driver. Both DoorDash and GrubHub are available in all major US cities, so if you live in any of them, you won’t have any problems with finding gig work.
However, note that you must be at least 21 years old before you can start delivering with GoPuff, since you may need to occasionally deliver alcohol.
DoorDash vs. Shipt
Shipt is one of the best gig job apps in the US, and it partners with some of the largest retailers in the US. You can work for Shipt as a delivery driver to earn boost your income. As a delivery driver with Shipt, you can earn between $16 to $22 per hour.
Like DoorDash, your earnings on Shipt will depend on how frequently you work and the number of hours that you work. Thus, this makes Shipt very similar to DoorDash.
If you enjoy using DoorDash, it may be worthwhile also signing up for Shipt to see if you might be able to increase your earnings from delivery jobs.
Other Sites Like DoorDash
Alternative Delivery Jobs
What is DoorDash?
DoorDash is an online food delivery platform that enables customers to order deliveries from restaurants and select grocery stores. The platform is available in over 850 throughout North America, and users can use the app to place orders on-demand.
The company has been around since 2013; its headquarters are in San Francisco, California.
Where is DoorDash available?
DoorDash is available in over 7,000 major cities in the United States, Canada, and Australia.
Do I need prior working experience to be a DoorDash driver?
You do not need prior working experience as a delivery driver to earn money on DoorDash. Nonetheless, being familiar with your local neighborhood can help you complete deliveries faster and earn more.
Do I need a bank account to be Dasher?
While many Dashers use a bank account to receive their earnings, you can also withdraw your earnings daily via the Fast Pay feature as long as you have a debit card.
How can I maintain good customer ratings?
You can earn and maintain good ratings by following instructions and handling deliveries carefully. You should also ensure that you complete deliveries on time.