DollarBreak is reader-supported, when you sign up through links on this post, we may receive compensation. Disclosure.
GrubHub is an online food delivery company based in Chicago. The company has been around for over a decade since it was founded in 2004. GrubHub processes over 745,000 orders every single day. It is also one of the most widely available food delivery platforms and it offers its services in over 4000 US cities. Becoming a GrubHub driver is hence one of the best side hustles to earn extra income.
- High earnings potential – new drivers can earn around $12 per hour. As you get more familiar with the area, this can increase to up to $20 per hour.
- Instant cash out – GrubHub drivers can cash out their earnings at any time by paying a fee of $0.50. This fee is waived for Chase Bank customers.
- Earn more from tips and peak periods – you get to keep 100% of the tips they get. You can also earn more by working during periods with high demand.
- Up to 4 different delivery options – you can deliver either by car or motorcycle. Some cities like NYC and allow delivery by scooter or bicycle.
- High minimum age to join – you must be at least 19 years old to deliver with GrubHub (21 in Las Vegas), making it not a good side hustle for teens.
- Long approval wait time – some cities have too many drivers & you may be waitlisted. Even after that, you need to wait up to 10 days to get your gear.
Jump to: Full Review
Compare to Other Delivery Driver Jobs
Earn $15 – $25 per hour + keep 100% of your customer tips (4000 cities)
You can use any mode of transportation: your car, bicycle or motorcycle
You have the freedom to pick and choose which orders you want to accept
Make around $12 per hour + tips and create your own flexible schedule
No resume, interview or delivery experience required, and no dress code
Cash your earnings out up to $500 a day (free for Chase Bank customers)
What is Grubhub?
Grubhub has been operating since 2004. It was created by two software developers who were looking for a paper menu alternative. In 2013, the company merged with Seamless, the food delivery pioneer. Today, these companies work with more than 80,000 restaurants to offer food delivery across 1,600 cities.
The platform has established a solid reputation, with some excellent Grubhub reviews on both the Google Play Store and the Apple Store.
Like other food delivery services, the Grubhub app allows customers to place food orders from local restaurants. All payments are handled using the app, and the customer can then schedule delivery. This makes for a convenient choice for the customer and creates a potential income for Grubhub drivers.
While some restaurants that collaborate with Grubhub may have their own in house drivers, plenty of restaurants rely on third party drivers. In these locations, Grubhub has a massive demand for drivers to meet the food delivery needs.
How Does Driving for Grubhub Work?
As a Grubhub driver, you’ll have two primary responsibilities. Firstly, you’ll need to pick up food orders from local restaurants and secondly, deliver them straight to the customer. These actions are managed through the Grubhub for Drivers app.
While this may seem like any standard food delivery service, there are some Grubhub driver benefits. The first is that by signing up as a Grubhub driver, you can also receive delivery requests from Seamless customers since the company owns both platforms.
When a Seamless user submits a food order, the request goes straight to the local Grubhub drivers. This means that you could get far more requests for food deliveries than if you were using another app or platform.
Grubhub drivers can also schedule delivery blocks or just log in whenever they like. This creates a completely flexible schedule. By choosing blocks, you can also increase the number of requests and your potential earnings.
Additionally, in some regions, drivers can qualify for a pay guarantee by meeting certain local requirements. This may include working a set number of scheduled blocks or accepting a percentage of orders. This means that you may be able to make a decent hourly rate even if demand drops low.
Grubhub Driver Requirements
As with most food delivery platforms, there are some requirements to become a Grubhub driver. In addition to having excellent communication skills, punctuality, and a positive attitude, you also need to:
- Have a checking account to receive payments
- Be age 19+ (or 21+ in Las Vegas)
- Have a compatible smartphone with a data plan (iPhone with iOS 11+ or Android with 5.0 or higher)
You can deliver using a car or bicycle. Car drivers need a valid driver’s license and auto insurance, while bike riders need to have a valid state ID.
If you meet these requirements, you can click on the blue “Apply to Drive” button on the website or apply directly through the Grubhub for Drivers app.
How Much Do Grubhub Drivers Make?
Like many delivery apps, the average hourly rate for Grubhub is approximately $12 per hour. You can also keep 100% of your customer tips. Depending on your city, this may be above or below the minimum wage. Bear in mind that the hourly rate can vary from city to city.
Additionally, there are no limits to how much you can earn. So, if you provide great service consistently, you can expect to earn more tips and boost your earnings.
This may leave you wondering how much do you make per delivery with GrubHub? This can vary by city, but generally, the pay will breakdown as follows:
- Mileage: You can expect to earn approximately 22 cents per mile. You may wonder does Grubhub keep track of mileage, and the answer is yes. The app calculates the distance you need to travel to the pick up and drop off locations.
- Time: You can also earn approximately 13 cents for each minute that you spend driving and waiting.
- Tips: Tips go straight to the driver with no deductions.
Grubhub does not charge commission fees to the drivers. Instead, Grubhub makes money from restaurant commissions and the difference between what you are paid and what the customer pays. There are no hidden fees to worry about.
How Do You Get Paid Your Grubhub Earnings?
If you’re wondering, does Grubhub pay instantly? You may be a little disappointed. However, you’ll receive your pay each week via direct deposit. Grubhub sends payments for your earnings Monday to Sunday of the preceding week each Thursday. Unfortunately, there is a pay wait time of approximately five days.
If you do need access to your earnings faster, there is the Grubhub Instant Cash Out feature. This is available through the earnings tab on the app. When you click “Cash Out,” you can receive up to $500 per day with a 50 cent fee. These payments can take up to three days if your bank does not support real time payments.
Cash out up to $500 per day with a $0.50 fee
About the Grubhub Recognition Program & Declining Orders
You may think about how to make more than average as a Grubhub driver, and there are some ways to help you increase your earnings.
Use the Scheduled Blocks:
Grubhub provides drivers with the opportunity to increase their earnings by scheduling blocks of time in advance. These are driving shifts when Grubhub anticipates a higher demand for deliveries.
If you commit to shifts rather than keeping a completely flexible schedule, you will receive more requests and increase your earnings during the block.
However, be sure that you avoid dropping a scheduled block within 72 hours of the start time or not showing up for your shift. Consistently dropping blocks will mean that Grubhub will restrict your access to this feature.
Make Use of the Grubhub Recognition Program:
This recognition program allows the best drivers to access some unique perks. There are three levels to this program.
|Partner||This is the default level that you will automatically qualify for after your 20th request.|
|Pro||You will need to have:A 100% attendance rate for your scheduled blocksAn 85% or more order acceptance rate Block drop rate of 20% or less. This will provide earlier access to block scheduling and larger catering orders.|
|Premier||You will need: A 100% attendance rate95% or more acceptance rateDrop rate of less than 10%This provides the first choice of delivery blocks.|
Your level can change, and it is based on your activity in the last 30 days.
Grubhub Pros and Cons
- Tips: You get to keep 100% of all your tips
- Set your own schedule: You can work as often or as little as you like. However, you can also access schedule blocks for times of high demand.
- Weekly payments: Grubhub issues payments each week via direct deposit, but you can also access instant payments for a 50 cent fee.
- Recognition Program: You can gain access to perks such as access to larger catering orders with consistently good service.
- No pay guarantees: While you can expect to earn approximately $12 per hour, there are no guarantees for your pay.
- Poor Grubhub driver customer service: Some Grubhub review comments have highlighted issues with poor support responses to issues.
- No instant cash: Even if you pay the fee for an instant payment, you may still need to wait up to three days, depending on your bank.
- You need to know your area well: In order to be efficient, you need to know your area quite well. Some Grubhub review comments have expressed frustration at trying to deliver to hard to find apartments.
Is Grubhub Worth it?
Of course, Grubhub is not unique, and there are alternative platforms you can use as a side hustle, delivering food orders.
Grubhub vs. Doordash
While you’re an independent contractor for both platforms, Doordash has a different pay structure for its drivers. You’ll receive a base pay of $2 to $10, and then you can make up to $4 per delivery during peak periods. Doordash also has challenges to boost your earnings.
This means that with Doordash, you can earn up to $15 per hour before tips.
Grubhub vs. Postmates
Postmates is similar to Grubhub, allowing you to work flexible hours as an independent contractor. Like Doordash, there is a different formula to calculate your pay. You’ll receive an amount for each complete pick up and drop off, a waiting rate, and per mile rate.
This adds up to an average hourly rate of approximately $15 per hour, which is slightly more than Grubhub before tips.
Grubhub vs. Uber Eats
Uber is a well known brand name that has branched into food delivery. The premise of delivering for Uber Eats is similar to Grubhub, but the delivery zones tend to be wider. This means that you may spend more time and fuel driving between pick ups.
Does Grubhub pay for Gas?
Grubhub does factor mileage into your pay, but you don’t receive a specific payment for gas. You will need to think about the cost of gas and other vehicle related expenses when calculating your pay rate.
How often do Grubhub drivers get paid?
Grubhub processes direct deposit payments every Thursday for the Monday to Sunday of the preceding week. You can also pay a 50 cent fee for instant payments if your bank accepts them.
Does Grubhub do a credit check?
Grubhub does perform a background check for new drivers, but your credit should not matter.