DollarBreak goal is to empower readers to make better financial decisions. This post may contain affiliate links from our partners who share the same vision. Disclosure.
Best Side Hustles
$1 sign up bonus
$0.50-$3 on average per survey + Branded Elite Program – extra points for active members
Average survey length is 15 min and minimum payout is $10
You can earn 20 to 500 points per survey
On average it takes 10-20 minutes to complete a survey
$5 minimum payout threshold with PayPal
Today, we are looking into side hustle ideas.
What Is a Side Hustle?
A side hustle is an activity that provides supplemental income in addition to one’s full-time job.
Should a Side Hustle Be a Passion?
Not necessarily, if you do side hustle to mainly supplement your income. However, if your primary intention for the side hustle is well spent time and fulfilment, choose one of your hobbies. We have gathered a list of 49 hobbies that make money.
Types of Side Hustles
- Surveys & Microjobs [4 ideas]
- Online Business [11 ideas]
- Online Jobs [14 ideas]
- Offline Jobs [11 ideas]
- Rent Out Your Stuff [6 ideas]
Side Hustles – Surveys & Microjobs
1. Online Surveys (Swagbucks)
Swagbucks is a free web rewards program through which you can earn free gift cards and money. We have written a comprehensive guide testing all 18 ways to make money using Swagbucks. Check the results on our Swagbucks Review before you dive in.
By the way, bear in mind that it’s worth signing up for more than one web rewards program, so you can pick the best deals and jobs from each site every day . Check out our list of 9 more Sites like Swagbucks.
Best Paying Survey Sites
Alternative Survey Sites
2. Test Websites (User Testing)
User Testing is the most popular platform in the industry. Your human insights as a customer is what User Testing is looking for. You will need to record a 20-minute video where you review a certain application or website.
Pay is great, at $10 for every review, and is paid straight into your Paypal. For alternatives, check out these websites: TestingTime, TryMyUi, UserFeel, Enroll, UserZoom, UserLytics, Validately, What Users Do.
- What is Product Testing & How Does it Work?
- What Products Can You Test?
- Product Testing Pros & Cons
- 16 Best Product Testing Sites & Programs
3. Microjobs (Amazon Mturk)
Amazon’s Mechanical Turk lists microjobs called HITs (human intelligence tasks). Remote workers choose and complete these tasks to receive compensation.
4. Shopkick (Rewards App)
Whether you regularly do grocery shopping, or buy stuff online, the Shopkick app is a great side hustle idea. Shopkick is a shopping rewards app that lets you earn gift cards or cash for doing what you’re already doing anyway.
This is how you can earn gift cards or cash with Shopkick:
- Watch videos – $0.012 per video
- Enter stores – $0.12 – $0.4 per entrance
- Scan items in stores – $0.04 per scan
- Submit receipts of online or in-store purchases – earnings vary
- Shop online or in-store – e.g. $0.012 for each $1 spent on eBay
- Refer friends – $1 for each friend that joins the app
Side Hustles – Online Business
Blogging requires initial investment of your time, but bears fruit even if you are away from your computer. It works well if you are okay with not earning significant money for 6-12 months. Just be sure to choose a niche that is not competitive , so your blog ranks much faster on Google.
- How to start a blog in 6 easy steps
- Most profitable niches today
- How to make your blog successful
- How to promote your blog
Dropshipping requires almost no investment apart from the Shopify monthly fee of $29/month and your time. Creating a webstore is the easy part, as you can simply import products to your Shopify store using the Oberlo app. Bringing traffic is the most difficult part as you are not depending on free traffic from Google.
Facebook/Pinterest/Youtube ads come in handy. But, do not rush buying ads – first learn the right way to start a dropshipping business.
- Benefits of starting a dropshipping business
- How to find a winning product for dropshipping?
- How to find dropshipping suppliers?
- How to market your dropshipping business?
7. Sell on Amazon FBA
Selling on Amazon FBA requires initial investment as you need to order and send products to the Amazon warehouse. Amazon takes care of marketing, distribution and customer service. Check this comprehensive Amazon FBA guide in order to choose the right product, supply it, send it to the Amazon warehouse, create a listing, and launch it.
- What is Amazon FBA and how does It work?
- Benefits and drawbags of Amazon FBA
- Step by step guide how to sell on Amazon FBA
- How to find a winning product?
8. Sell books on Ebay
Selling books on Ebay requires a constant feed of new books. Check local thrift stores, garage sales, or even Craigslist for bargains. And if you have an attic full of books, that’s great – you can start almost cash free. Don’t forget to ask your relatives whether they have any spare books. It is worth mentioning that textbooks, unique books, old magazines, decor books and bibles are the best sellers.
It’s easy to set up a storefront on Ebay – just follow these 4 steps to sell your first book online.
- Steps to Set-Up a Storefront
- Where to Find Books?
- Which Books Sell the Best?
- Tips for Selling More Books on eBay
9. Create Online Course (Udemy)
If you have expertise in any field that people would be interested in learning, create a course. Examples: how to play the piano, how to draw, how to become a plumber, how to fly a drone, etc.
Knowledge commerce requires no investment and is usually counted as a passive income – bearing industry. Udemy is a great marketplace to upload your first course. In order to learn how to create an online course, check this Udemy course.
10. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is a tried and tested way to make money online, but it’s essential that you find the correct products to sell. Many people prefer dropshipping with eBay and other companies, but it’s worth looking at affiliate marketing opportunities. Some companies, such as Amazon and Shopify offer good affiliate programs for a referral.
It is important to find out if they offer any tools that will help you to make a sale. Sales tools and lead magnets are extremely helpful when you’re marketing any product. If you take the time to learn how to market effectively and you choose good products to sell, it is possible to make more than $100 per day.
You can check the list of the best affiliate programs here.
- How to Make Money with Affiliates?
- Why Recurring Commissions are the Best?
- Best Affiliate Programs with Recurring Commissions
- How to Promote Affiliates?
11. Instagram Influencer
Many companies are now devoting a considerable portion of their advertising budgets to social media influencers. Conventional advertising is losing traction. It’s often a better idea to reach an audience for a product or service in a more targeted fashion.
A company will try to match their product with a social media influencer that matches their specific audience.
The amount of money you could potentially earn will vary depending upon the size of your audience and their engagement rate with your content.
The most popular profiles on Instagram can attract $5,000 or more for sponsored posts that showcase a company’s products and services. Becoming an influencer can take some time. Finding the right niche is key, and you need to update your content consistently.
- What is an Instagram Influencer?
- How Much Money Does an Instagram Influencer Make?
- How to Become an Instagram Influencer?
- 5 Tips to Become a Successful Influencer
12. Book Publishing
Amazon makes it possible for writers to self publish their work using the Kindle platform. This platform is popular and free to use. All you need to do is upload your book and provide a cover that attracts interest.
Amazon lists the book on the sites you select to match the audience you’re looking for and take a percentage of each sale.
An author can expect to earn:
- 70% on books in the $2.99 to $9.99 price range
- 35% of the cover price on cheaper or more expensive books.
Authors can set their own prices and create promotions. It is still possible to build a large audience of dedicated readers. The best Kindle authors make $10,000+ per month in a wide range of fiction and non-fiction genres.
- Amazon Self-Publishing: What is Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP)?
- KDP Self-Publishing vs. Traditional Publishing
- How Much Does it Cost to Publish with KDP?
- A Step By Step Guide to Amazon Self-Publishing
13. SEO Agency
If you have excellent Search Engine Optimization or SEO skills, you will find clients that are happy to pay for your services.
Many business leaders, bloggers, podcasters, and website owners are looking to get their pages ranked higher in Google and other search engine results.
This boosts their visibility and leads to more traffic to boost their earnings. You could work as an analyst and consultant by advertising your services on platforms such as Upwork or LinkedIn where you could earn around $18 per hour.
A freelance consultant can earn around $20 per hour by sharing their skills with businesses that need expert advice. Simply specify your niche and choose the platform(s) where you want to market your skillset.
In order to build a successful consultancy, it will be essential to network with people working in your particular industry.
This is where sites such as LinkedIn and professional social media platforms will be helpful to get the referrals you need for your services.
- What Exactly Do Consultants Do?
- How Do You Get Paid as a Consultant?
- What Skills Do You Need to be a Consultant?
- 10 Steps to Become a Consultant
15. Selling on Etsy
Etsy is a fantastic platform if you have some handy craft skills and the time to work on projects to earn money. It has grown into a huge platform for creatives in recent years.
It’s easy to get started as a seller:
- Join the platform
- Create listings – you can use free design resources including fonts, svg files, and other downloadable assets
- Set your own rates – most sellers charge around $25 for an item. Etsy charges:
- A 3.5% commission on the final sale price
- A $0.20 listing fee.
If your craft products are in demand, you could develop an Etsy shop that earns as much as $1,000 per month!
Side Hustles – Online Jobs
16. Virtual Assistant Service
It’s no longer necessary to work a 9-5 job or even leave your home to make a living. However, I would suggest starting a virtual assistant career as a side hustle, and only switching careers once you make more than you do from your day job.
Once you hit 3-5 regular customers, you can expect lots of hours. If you see that you are constantly getting offered 40+ hours , consider raising your hourly rate. To begin your journey, check these virtual assistant jobs for beginners.
- Average salary for a virtual assistant
- Skills needed to be a virtual assistant
- Steps to become a virtual assistant with no experience
- 55 virtual assistant jobs from home
If you are good at fixing poorly structured text and pointing out mistakes, proofreading could be a perfect match for you. Most usual content consists of student essays, blogs, online articles, interviews, cases studies , user manuals, eBooks, press releases, newsletters and social media posts. Bear in mind that you can use tools such as Grammarly to automate most of your work.
To get started, check out our comprehensive guide, which includes tips, tricks and 30 proofreading jobs.
- What is proofreading?
- How much does a proofreader make?
- What skills do you need to become a proofreader?
- 30 best proofreading jobs
18. Remote Writing
Freelance remote writing gigs can be lucrative if you are good at writing. We gathered 50 remote working jobs to kickstart your journey in the writing industry. Check this article if you are worried about writer’s burnout – the most common problem remote writers face.
- How to become a writer?
- How to find legitimate freelance writing jobs?
- 15 best creative writing jobs
- What are the highest paying writing jobs?
19. Transcribe (TranscribeMe)
Transcribing audio with TranscribeMe is one of the easiest ways to start your online career. TranscribeMe pays from $0.33 per audio minute, which is $20 per hour.
You get $2 for every accurately transcribed file. Use Scribie to convert audio to text automatically and just fix the mistakes. This way you can save loads of time.
- What is transcription as a job?
- How much do you make transcribing online?
- How can you become a good transcriptionist?
- 14 best transcription jobs and companies to work for
20. Teaching English Online (VIPKid)
If you are a North American fluent in English, you can teach children in China. VIPKid is a leading platform with potential earnings of $22 per hour. Classes run for 25-30 minutes. Make sure you have a fast internet connection.
- Can you teach english online without a degree?
- How much do online english teachers make?
- How do you get tefl certified?
- 26 best teach english online jobs
21. Graphic Design (Zazzle)
22. Draw Illustrations (Merch)
Merch by Amazon offers an opportunity to create t-shirt designs and sell them on Amazon marketplace. You have an initial limit of how many designs you can upload, so make sure to keep the price low in order to sell and get the limit increased.
This way you can build up your portfolio more quickly . It’s great if you are looking to build more passive income, but it takes more time to earn significant income.
- Lend Money
- Invest In Stock Market
- Invest in Crowdfunded Properties
- Rent Out Your House (or Extra Bedroom)
23. Photography (Fiverr)
If you have a passion for photography and are looking to monetize your hobby, put an ad on Fiverr and let people know what you can do with your camera. Ideas for your first Gig:
- I will take any photo in New York
- I will take photos of anything
- I will take phenomenal food photos
- I will take a photo of your product as I travel the world
- I will take a photo of your brand with my dog
- What is the purpose of photography?
- How much money can you make as a photographer?
- How do you start photography?
- 14 best photography jobs
24. Videography with Drone
Sell aerial photos and video footage on stock websites, offer wedding aerial photography and videography, offer drone service to real estate advertisers, hotels, resorts, etc. The possibilities are endless . Make sure to put your ad on websites such as Fiverr or Cragslist.
- You’re selling a service at the price you set and not your time
- Remain anonymous – Fiverr allows you to remain anonymous and don’t reveal any personal or contact information of yours
- Upsell opportunities. You can increase your Fiverr earnings by offering your clients upsells. E.g. you can offer less delivery time for additional payment
- Seller protection. Fiverr ensures your and your funds’ security on the platform and helps you resolve the case with fraudulent clients
25. Data Entry
Data entry jobs are not the most thrilling way to make some cash online. But you can earn as much as $17 per hour.
You don’t need any special equipment or skills to get started, and the work is highly flexible. It’s easy to fit some data entry around any other commitments. Most workers tend to work the hours they want.
- Data entry clerks resonsibilities
- Skills needed to be a data entry clerk
- Pros and cons of being a data entry clerk
- 16 data entry jobs from home
26. Customer Service
Many people believe that all phone and message services are now automated, but this is not the case.
There are companies that prefer a human voice to deal with their customers making phone calls and taking messages.
Most customer service workers now work from home. It’s possible for regular workers to earn up to $400 per week.
Workers with technical skills can earn more working on technical helplines. You can find jobs on many sites such as ZipRecruiter.
Join some job sites, read the requirements carefully, and submit your resume.
- What is remote customer service?
- What is the salary of remote customer service representative?
- How do you become a remote customer service rep?
- 15 best remote customer service jobs and platforms
If you speak more than one language fluently, you could work as a translator.
Many businesses need translation services for documentation, web pages, and other materials. There are many platforms where you can advertise your services and apply for work, such as Upwork.
Your earnings will depend on
- Your skill level,
- Relevant qualifications,
- Confidence with the language,
You could expect to earn as much as $35 per hour.
- What translators do?
- What is the average salary for a translators?
- How to become a translator with no experience?
- 14 best translators jobs
28. Narrating Audiobooks
If you’re often complimented on your pleasant voice, you could investigate a voiceover artist career.
A voiceover artist narrates audiobooks, commercial content, and other vocal tasks for clients. A good voiceover artist can make as much as $40 per hour. But, this will vary a great deal depending on your level of experience and the project budget.
Upgrading to a premium Voices.com membership will also help you to find those higher paying jobs.
- What Does an Audiobook Narrator Do?
- How Much You Can Earn as AudioBook Narrator?
- Equipment Required for Audiobook Narrator Job
- 13 Best Audio Narrator Jobs
29. Web Developer
If you can code, you have a skill that is in high demand for blogs, apps, and websites. Even if you need to learn coding skills, you can still get into this industry, with online courses like TeamTreeHouse.
Business owners and developers want their software to look good and function efficiently. This is where your knowledge of Python, CSS, HTML, and other languages can help.
A coder can earn $40 per hour on average for basic web development, but you can earn more if you have more experience. For this reason, it’s a great idea to build a portfolio that demonstrates your coding skills. You can share this with potential clients.
- What is a web developer?
- How much do web developers make an hour?
- What qualifications do you need to be a web developer?
- How to become a web developer with no experience?
Side Hustles – Offline Jobs
30. Charge Electric Scooters (Bird, Lime)
Download the Bird and Lime apps, collect scooters, charge them at home, and earn money. For every scooter you get $3-$7. Is it a great business? Reyes the Entrepreneur shows how to earn $5000 in a single month. Bear in mind that a car is a must, but a van would be better , as you can take more scooters in one go.
31. Dog Walking (Rover)
Love dogs? You have a great opportunity with Rover to help dog owners take care of their pets when they are away. Services you can provide: dog boarding, house sitting, drop-in visits, doggy day care, and dog walking. To put it into perspective, Jen Tserng grossed over $100,000 in one year with Rover.
- What Do I Need to Do to be a Dog Walker?
- How Much do Dog Walkers Make on Average?
- 14 Best Dog Walking Jobs
- What Can You Do to Get Hired as a Dog Walker?
32. Food Delivery Service (Postmates)
Half a million restaurants and businesses all over the USA are partnering with Postmates to distribute food to Americans. It’s a great opportunity if you are working 9-5 and looking for a weekend or evening job, as these are the busy times for Postmates. Realistically, you can earn $15 per hour plus tips making about 4 deliveries. ( And that’s after Postmates takes their 20% share.)
33. Driving (Lyft, Uber)
Lyft and Uber offer opportunities to become one of their drivers . You can work any hours, but evening shifts and weekends are usually the busiest times. The busier it is, the more you get paid, so it’s worth taking timing into consideration.
You must have a car, so take car expenses into consideration when calculating your net revenue. On the other hand, this job is not difficult and you have a chance to meet many interesting people.
- How Much Can You Make With Lyft Per Day?
- What Are Lyft Driver Requirements?
- How Do You Increase Your Lyft Earnings?
- Is Driving Lyft Worth it?
34. Microjobs (Taskrabbit)
Assemble IKEA furniture, mount TVs, move boxes, clean houses, fix plumbing, bring furniture upstairs, plant flowers, and so on. If you have tools and a skillset, grab an opportunity to start your online venture. Get jobs on Taskrabbit as they are partnered with IKEA and have many jobs on their platform.
35. Mystery Shopping (SecretShopper)
Secret Shopper pays money for you to visit physical shops, purchase and give feedback on customer experience. You will get $5-$20 for each visit. This opportunity will not provide you consistent hours, but the more gigs you sign up for, the more you can expect to receive.
You can also combine this job with other side hustle ideas mentioned in this article.
- What is a mystery shopper?
- How much money can you make as a mystery shopper?
- How do you become a legitimate mystery shopper?
- 30 best mystery shopper jobs
36. Reduce Energy Bills (Truebill)
Truebill can help you to save money on your energy bills, which is almost as good as earning cash online.
It’s free to sign up to the Truebill service. A “savings fee” or commission applies only if Truebill can save you money.
This commission is steep at 40% but you only need to pay when your savings are confirmed. You only pay annually.
As an example: If Truebill saved you $1,000 on your yearly bills, they would expect you to pay them $400, which seems fair.
Truebill analyzes your bills and bank transactions to find and secure savings. This makes it an easy way to indirectly “earn” some extra money online.
37. Inspect Cars (WeGoLook)
WeGoLook is a well established company that refers to itself as the “Uber of inspections”. The company has a workforce of more than 30,000 contractors. This means it’s likely that they have a local person to verify items in your area.
The company offers a “Look” as a single gig to its workforce of “Lookers”.
A Looker can look at anything such as an auction item, a home, a building, a boat, a car or virtually anything else you can think of.
The entity that needs a Look maybe someone looking to make a purchase, an insurance company carrying out an investigation, or perhaps a business that needs a court record in a distant location. Most Looks pay around $20, but if the Look is complex or in a distant area, it could pay as much as $200.
You’ll receive payment from WeGoLook one week after the gig is complete via a direct deposit to your bank account.
38. Provide Tech Support (HelloTech)
If you are good with the tech you can turn your interest into a lucrative side gig by helping people out with their technology woes. HelloTech is an interesting platform that connects people with experts that can help them to solve technology problems.
HelloTech support workers must be:
- At least 18 years old,
- pass a video interview,
- complete a skills evaluation
- pass a background check.
You can expect to earn around $15 per hour on average. But if you have skills in high demand, you could earn as much as $90 per hour!
39. Review Products (Toluna)
The Toluna platform has more than 10 million members that regularly test new products and complete surveys.
There are always job listings available, and the company chooses every tester at random.
If your demographic details are a good match, you could receive an invite to an opportunity via email.
This can include actual product testing of items, including:
- Beauty products,
- Fashion items
- Household goods
- And more.
Every task is worth around 10,000 points. You need 15,000 points to get $5. You can redeem your earnings with merchandise, gift card, or a Paypal payment.
Simply sign up to Toluna, answer the 10 demographic questions, and then wait for an invite.
40. Review Search Engines (InboxDollars)
InboxDollars is a platform that pays members points for completing certain tasks. These tasks can include:
- Downloading apps,
- Completing surveys,
- Watching videos,
- Taking free offers
- Reviewing search engines.
The InboxDollars platform is popular and very easy to use.
Every available task is available directly on your dashboard and tasks are matched to your demographic profile. The tasks require no special skills to complete.
You can redeem your earnings as a giftcard, check, or Paypal payment. This is similar in many ways to Swagbucks. Consistent users can earn as much as $100 per month, making this a useful side gig.
Side Hustles – Rent Out Your Stuff
41. Rent Out Your Car (Turo)
With Turo you can rent your car and earn money with your asset. Sign up and create a listing. Your rented car comes with $1 million in liability insurance and is protected against physical damage for collision and causes such as theft. What can you expect to earn with Turo?
- 2015 Toyota Prius in Los Angeles – $29 per day
- 2012 Jeep Wrangler in Atlanta – $54 per day
- 2018 Fiat 500 in Miami – $44 per day
42. Rent Out a Room (AirBnB)
Having a spare room lets you rent it via AirBnB and earn, on average , $924 month according to AirBnB. If you live in a touristy place, you are lucky, as you will probably earn more. Some people even move away from city centers or touristy places to rent out their entire apartment.
But, keep in mind that you would need to rent an apartment for yourself or take a risk and buy a new property. Either way, it’s great to have a chance to convert your side hustle into a business.
43. Rent Out Clothing (Style Lend)
Style Lend gives you the opportunity to monetize your wardrobe. It’s great if you have designer clothing, but even party dresses can make you money. 100% insurance covers minor rips, stains and tears.
USPS shipping labels are sent once someone rents your clothing. Style Lend suggests pricing your clothing at 5-10% of the original purchase price. The more expensive the clothing, the more you can make.
44. Rent Out Stuff (Loanables)
Lend your expensive equipment, tools, electronics to other people with Loanables. Examples include: projector for $80/week, paddleboard for $150/week, inflatable water slide for $75/day, generator $250/week, etc. You will also reduce waste and make money at the same time.
45. Rent Your Money (Acorns)
Acorns is a clever app that combines micro savings and investing to make users money. The app deals in extremely small amounts of money that most people are unlikely to notice when they spend. The app rounds up when you make a purchase and takes that difference for investing purposes.
For example, if you purchased an item for $3.75, Acorns would round that up to $4. The seller would still get their money, but the extra $0.25 would go into your Acorns account.
When your Acorns balance reaches $5, those funds are invested and managed by their team on your behalf. Over time this can really add up. You can expect to earn approximately 1% or more. You can check your investments at any time using the Acorns app.
46. Rent RV (RV Share)
RVShare allows peer to peer RV sharing and rentals among their members. An RV has a high purchasing price. So you can earn a lot of money renting it out when it’s not in regular use.
Some RVShare users earn $2000 or more during a busy season. This can really offset the price of an RV.
The potential earnings will depend on the driveability and quality of your RV, so it makes sense to keep it in great condition.