DollarBreak is reader-supported with the goal to become the ultimate practical resource for making money online. When you sign up or buy through links on this post, we may receive compensation. Disclosure.
- No need to scan receipts
- $5 intro bonus
- Earn bonuses for referrals
- Payments processed quickly
- Isn’t available outside the US
- You must use your linked card
Best Cashback Sites
Up to 40% cash-back for your regular purchases
Close to 2500 participating retailers available
Get $25 once your friend spends at least $25 using Rakuten
BeFrugal will pay 125% of cash back offered on other platforms
BeFrugal partners with over 5,000 brands
The minimum cashout is as little as one cent
What is Dosh?
Dosh has been operating since 2016. Although this platform entered the crowded cash back marketplace, it has quickly become a popular choice with millions of users.
The Dosh app allows you to earn cash back when you make purchases at participating outlets with your credit or debit card. This is an innovative cash back app that sends your rewards automatically.
Unlike many other cash back sites, you don’t need to scan receipts, print coupons, or enter promo codes. You can just shop as normal and enjoy cash back.
Is Dosh Safe?
While the Dosh platform is not perfect, it is certainly a safe platform. The company uses Braintree, a PayPal division, to tokenize and vault your data. So, you don’t need to worry about the safety of your credit card information.
Additionally, all transactions within the Dosh App use SSL encryption. This makes it highly unlikely third parties can access the data.
If you need further convincing to answer the question is the Dosh app legit, the platform has established an excellent reputation. There are many positive Dosh reviews comments on consumer websites, and the platform and cash back app have great scores with the following:
How Does Dosh Work?
Dosh platform is remarkably easy to use, with some innovative Dosh features. Once you download the app, you’ll need to link your credit or debit card. You can then shop at participating merchants using your card. Dosh will automatically add points to your “Dosh Wallet” immediately.
The company has partnerships with merchants, companies, and major brands. You can earn up to 10 percent money back each time you make a purchase.
Once you reach $25 cash back, you can redeem your earnings via PayPal or direct deposit.
As with other cash back apps and platforms, you do need to spend money to receive cash back. However, if you do a lot of shopping, particularly at the list of participating Dosh partner stores, this app could save you a lot of cash.
When you reach $25, you can claim your earnings via direct deposit or PayPal
Can You Make Money With Dosh?
You may still be wondering does Dosh really pay, and the answer is yes. There are several ways to get cash back and make money with this platform.
Link Your Card:
You need to link a card to use the Dosh platform, but Dosh will still reward you for linking your first card. You’ll receive $5 in your Dosh Wallet as a bonus for linking cards to your account.
If you enjoy online shopping, you are sure to have fun using this app. When you make purchases at participating online retailers, you’ll receive up to 10% cash back in your Dosh Wallet automatically.
In Store Shopping:
Unlike many cash back platforms, you can also earn cash with your in store shopping. All you need to do is ensure that you pay for your purchases with your linked card. You don’t need to scan receipts or print coupons.
Dosh has partnerships with over 600,000 hotels across the globe. You can receive up to 40% cash back when you book a hotel stay through Dosh.
Dosh also has a referral scheme where you can earn extra cash by referring friends, family members, or businesses. When you visit your Dosh dashboard, you’ll see a “Refer” option that details your referral code.
When a family member or friend clicks your referral code link and downloads the app, you can earn a $5 bonus when he or she links their credit card.
There is no cap on how many people you can refer to the platform. But, if you want to earn even greater referral bonuses, you can also refer businesses.
When you refer a business to Dosh, you will earn 20% of that business’s Dosh fees for two full years. There is a form on the app, and some terms and conditions do apply.
Participating Dosh Merchants
Dosh has an impressive list of participating brands and merchants. The cash back varies and can change due to promotional offers or other variants. The list of brands include:
- Walgreens: 4.5%
- Office Depot: 2%
- Safeway: 3%
- Sam’s Club: 2%
- Overstock.com: 2%
- Home Depot: 6%
- Walmart: 2%
- Nike: 3%
- PetSmart: 10%
- Staples: 2%
How To Redeem Dosh Earnings
Getting your hands on your Dosh money is simple. When you pay for purchases at participating stores or websites, Dosh will add the cash back to your wallet.
The minimum redemption level is $25, and once you reach this level, you can cash out via PayPal or direct deposit.
All you need to do is tap the wallet icon and click “Transfer”. You can select the amount you want to transfer and then confirm your payment method.
Dosh Pros and Cons
- No scanning: Dosh makes it easy to earn cash back. You don’t need to remember to scan receipts or print coupons before you go shopping. As long as you use your linked card, the cash back will automatically go into your Dosh Wallet.
- Referral scheme: You can also boost your Dosh earnings by referring family members, friends, or even businesses.
- Cash back on hotel bookings: Dosh doesn’t only provide cash back on your online and in store shopping. You can also earn up to 40% on hotel bookings through the platform.
- Intro bonus: Dosh offers a $5 bonus for linking your credit cards. Since this also makes it easier to use the app, it’s a win win scenario.
- U.S. only: Currently, Dosh is only available in the USA. While the platform may expand in the future, you will only be able to earn cash back if you’re in the U.S. and making purchases with U.S. brands.
- Exclusive card linking: You can only link cards that are not being used on similar platforms. Dosh prohibits using the same cards on similar sites. So, if you’re already registered with Yelp Cash Back or other apps, you won’t be able to earn with those cards on Dosh.
- You need to spend to earn: This app is best for people who currently make purchases in store and online, as you need to spend to earn cash back. So, if you’re looking for a side hustle and keep a tight rein on your spending, this is not the best choice for you.
- You must use a card: If you want to accumulate cash back, you must pay with your linked card. So, you cannot use cash, PayPal, or other payment methods.
- Privacy issues: In order for Dosh to work, it needs to see your transactions, which may raise privacy concerns for some users.
Other Cash-Back Apps Like Dosh
Cash back platforms have been around for a while, so Dosh is not unique. There are a number of other cash back apps like Dosh that may be a better fit for you and your spending habits.
Dosh vs. Swagbucks:
Swagbucks allows you to earn cash back on your online purchases, but it is also more of a side hustle platform. You can earn S.B.’s or points for watching videos, answering surveys, and playing games in addition to shopping online.
The platform has a partnership with more than 1,500 retailers, including popular brands such as Target, Walmart, and Starbucks.
Like Dosh, Swagbucks offers PayPal as a redemption method, but you can also convert your points into gift cards.
Dosh vs. Shopkick:
- Get $5 Free by earning 25 kicks within your first 7 days after sign up with promo code: DOLLARBREAK5
- Possible to make $1 or more per trip to the store (meaning scanning multiple items in one go)
- $1 bonus for referring friends to download Shopkick app (up to $100)
- Gift cards from Amazon, Best Buy, eBay, Groupon, Nike, Walmart, Paypal, Sephora
Shopkick has accumulated millions of users since its launch in 2009. The company has partnerships with both in-store and online retailers. Unlike Dosh, Shopkick offers “kicks” rather than a cash percentage. You can then exchange your kicks for gift cards or physical gifts.
Dosh vs. Ibotta:
Like Dosh, Ibotta allows you to earn money back on purchases at selected restaurants, stores, or hotels. However, you need to scan your receipt using a smartphone. You need to wait up to 48 hours after submitting your receipt to see the cash back in your Ibotta balance.
This makes it a little less convenient than Dosh, as you need to remember to scan your receipts after every shopping trip.
Dosh vs. Rakuten:
Rakuten is likely to be the biggest competitor of Dosh. It sometimes offers better deals than Dosh, but the platform is less flexible.
To qualify for Rakuten cash back, you need to visit its online portal or app first, so Rakuten can redirect you to the appropriate website. Rakuten does have a browser extension to make shopping easier, as it notifies you of cash back offers.
However, there are no rules that you can’t sign up for both Dosh and Rakuten.
Is Dosh Worth It?
If you’re already shopping, earning cash back is effectively getting money for nothing. If you live in an area with participating businesses or you love to take advantage of hotel offers, Dosh may really appeal to you.
Dosh doesn’t require any hoops to jump through to receive your cash back. It is also a legit platform, and there are lots of positive Dosh reviews. So, it is certainly worth considering.
How Does Dosh Make Money?
Dosh receives a commission from the participating retailer, which it shares with you as the user. When you use your Dosh login, you can see the percentages of cash back on offer, and these reflect which retailers pay Dosh more generously.
Does Dosh Sell Your Information?
While the platform does have access to your transaction information, Dosh does not sell any of your personally identifiable information to third parties.
Who is Dosh Best For?
Dosh is a great app for those who already shop online or in-store regularly with the list of participating brands. This means that you can earn cash back without changing your spending habits. You’ll simply get cash back on your typical purchases.
Who Shouldn’t Use Dosh?
If you have a tight spending budget and simply want to make a side income, Dosh is not the right choice for you. You need to spend money to earn cash back. So, you don’t want to feel encouraged to spend cash, just to get a percentage back.