DollarBreak is reader-supported with the goal to become the ultimate practical resource for making money online. When you sign up or buy through links on this post, we may receive compensation. Disclosure.
Best Sites to Sell Used, Damaged or Junk Car Nationwide
Receive your free offer instantly – 1 min (855) 925 4302
Choose a convenient date and time for free pick-up – as soon as next day
Get paid in check during the pick up for any car (damaged, junk, wrecked)
Using innovative AI technology, Wheelzy is able to evaluate any vehicle’s value and damage in no time having only photos
Every offer includes free pick-up/towing
Get a check the same day the Wheelzy agent picks up your car
5 Best Online Car Buying Sites
It’s important to understand that there are many car buying sites, and researching them all would be a real hassle. To save you some valuable time, here are the five best car buying sites that I could find.
Peddle could be the answer to the question “How to sell my car online fast?” because this platform can buy many types of vehicles, which it then distributes to a network of available buyers. Peddle will even buy junk vehicles, and you can get quick access to your cash.
This company makes it easy to sell your car in a matter of days.
- Complete the online form on the Peddle website or call for the quote – (855) 925-4302
- You’ll get an instant offer for consideration.
- If you’re happy, accept the offer
- Peddle will coordinate with you to arrange a suitable collection time.
- You’ll receive your payment on collection.
Peddle has got a good reputation for transparency in their business dealings. On the Peddle website, you can see all the latest vehicles they bought and what they paid for them. This is a running total over the last 30 days, and it gives you a good idea about how the company works. Peddle has an A+ BBB rating, and they are well regarded on Trustpilot, making the best place to sell a car online.
CarMax offers a free vehicle appraisal at any participating location, and their team will work hard to make an offer that’s accurate.
After this, they submit a written offer for your consideration that will last for a seven day period.
There is no obligation to sell to CarMax after an appraisal, but if you go ahead, simply bring the title, the keys, pay off information, and the valid registration documents when you collect your money. Every titleholder will need a valid photo ID to confirm and complete the sale.
At first glance, Vroom seems to be an online car dealership, much like Peddle. But, Vroom is perhaps the best place to sell a car online as it has received praise for its accurate pricing. This likely because the seller must submit photos and their vehicle information.
Vroom purchases vehicles from anywhere in the country, and they may even contact a private car seller with an offer if they have a customer waiting for that type of vehicle. If you decide to accept an offer from Vroom, their team will arrange the pickup at a mutually convenient time. When they arrive, they carry out a brief visual inspection, and they take the vehicle.
The company will process the payment, and you can expect a check in 2-3 days.
Another contender for the best place to sell a car on line is Cazab. This is attractive option for many people because they offer instant cash for your vehicle.
All you need is proof of your identity, ownership documentation, and the vehicle details to get started. The Cazab team evaluates this information and then make an immediate offer that will last for up to 2 weeks.
If you agree with the Cazab offer, they send a transporter to collect the vehicle and advise you on the documentation you need to ensure the process goes smoothly. Once Cazab verifies the vehicle title, a check is issued on the spot making the payment quick and easy.
When you supply your vehicle details to Carvana, you can get a decision in a few minutes! This platform uses the Kelley Blue Book to calculate trade in values, and this ensures a competitive offer in line with the current market.
If you decide to accept the Carvana offer, they will arrange the collection at a mutually convenient time, and an on site appraisal will be carried out. If everything is fine, they will cut you a check on the spot.
5 Best Websites to Sell Your Used Car Privately
The best way to get a good price for your vehicle is to sell it privately. This can be a hassle; it does take longer, but you will get a higher price.
However, if you’re after a fast sale, this is not the best option because the entire process may take 4-8 weeks.
Taking this route will require time and effort because you need to arrange viewings, schedule test drives, take phone calls, answer messages, take photos, and organize all the paperwork in advance. If you want to arrange a private car sale, here are the five best platforms to use.
1. eBay Motors
eBay is still one of the most popular auction sites online, and eBay Motors is a good choice when you want to sell your vehicle.
You can offer your car with a “Buy it Now” price or alternately, you could opt for an auction and maybe get a better price.
If you want to attract plenty of interest, you need to put plenty of effort into your listing.
When I sell a car on eBay Motors, I take a lot of photographs of every car angle after giving it a good wash and wax.
Make sure to calculate your seller fees, PayPal fees, and listing fees up front to avoid any unpleasant surprises when they are applied to your sale.
A basic ad starts at $25, but the upgrades are worth it if you want to add larger photos and print to make your listing stand out from the crowd.
The Cars.com platform allows the user to create a listing using around five sentences to communicate all the relevant information.
A potential buyer will make a judgment call based on your disclosures, so it’s important to be accurate and concise.
- CarGurus is a reliable marketplace with unbiased car listings
- The prices generated through the IMV tool do not differ much from the nearby dealerships
- You can negotiate with the buyer
- Sell your car with peace of mind – you’ll get up to $75,000 in protection for secure, online transaction
Listing your car with CarGurus is easy and manu consider it to be the best place to sell a car online. Pay the $4.95 listing fee, enter the VIN, and the website will fill in all the vehicle details for you.
There is also a handy pricing tool that you can use to check if your car listing is competitive for a faster sale.
Once the listing is complete, visit the “My Cars for Sale” page to get access to your listing. There you can edit the photos, renew the ad, and change the price.
The only drawback is that CarGurus need to verify that you own the vehicle that you want to sell. This process usually takes at least a couple of business days, which delays your ad going live.
Craigslist is a popular selling platform for pretty much anything, and many think it is the best place to sell a car online. Listing a used car is free. But, Craigslist attracts a lot of scammers, so be careful when selling there.
How to Sell My Car Online Fast?
Selling your car is a smart move if you’re upgrading to a newer car because you don’t usually get much on a trade-in type deal.
If you’re going down this route, you’ll need:
- Gathering up your vehicle paperwork
- Collect as many of the maintenance slips and records
- If you can afford it, get your car detailed
- Get a few quotes from online dealers
- Check similar cars value on websites
- Don’t leave anything in the car
Then look at the best online car buying sites that are listed below to see which is the best fit to sell your car fast.
How to Sell a Car with a Loan?
Many of us use finance for our vehicle purchases. If you have an outstanding loan amount, you can still sell your vehicle. First, get a “payoff amount” from the lender. This is the amount that it will cost to sign of the title and release the ownership to you.
The lender may have certain requirements on how you can sell the car, and you may need to bring the car buyer to the bank office and sign the paperwork there.
If you have a loan with an online lender, you may need to visit one of their bank partners or other financial institution to complete the car sale.
Always check the value of your vehicle before you decide to sell. If it’s less than the payoff amount, you’re going to have to hand over all the money you make from the sale to the lender and pay any outstanding difference!
However, if your car is worth more than the payoff, you can settle the outstanding loan and pocket the difference.
How to Sell a Car for Parts?
Even if your car is well past its best or has accident damage, you can still sell it for parts. There are three main ways to do this, they are:
- Sell Parts Individually: As you might imagine, this is a long term project, but you will get the most for each component. Advertising individual parts is time consuming; you will need some storage space and mechanical knowledge to remove the parts without damaging them. The parts can be listed on eBay Motors or Craigslist, and any parts that cannot be salvaged can be sold for scrap to a salvage yard.
- Selling to a Salvage Yard: If you have access to a local salvage yard and you don’t have the time or inclination to sell parts separately, you can sell the whole care for parts. A good salvage yard will specialize in stripping and selling salvageable parts to buyers. But, they don’t take just anything, so it makes sense to contact them in advance and ask them if they are interested. Certain parts are in higher demand than others, and you may have to give consent for a thorough inspection. If everything is in order, they can collect the vehicle if it isn’t running, which is another problem that you don’t need to deal with.
- Sell it to an Online Platform: As we’ve seen above, selling to an online platform is pretty easy, and some even accept cars to break down for parts. As an example: Peddle will accept cars or other vehicles in a wide variety of conditions. This is because they have a wide network of buyers, and some of them are looking for cheap or rare spare parts. Selling a car for parts in this way isn’t very lucrative, but it is fast, and if you have a car taking up valuable space, it may be your best option.
How to Sell a Junk Car?
If you need to sell your vehicle as junk, Peddle is the best option on our list for the reasons discussed above.
Peddle will always offer a quote if you complete their online form, but you must be honest and open about the condition of the vehicle.
Many people are surprised at what a junk car is worth to other people that need certain parts in their area.
How Long Does it Take to Sell a Car?
Selling a car privately can take weeks, but an online platform could secure a sale in a few days.
Can You Sell Your Car Online?
As I’ve shown above, there are many platforms to sell your car online, but you must display the general vehicle location because many buyers will want a test drive before they decide to buy.
How Do I find the Value of My Used Car?
Check the Kelley Blue Book or Edmunds if you want to get an accurate value for your vehicle.