DollarBreak is reader-supported with the goal to become the ultimate practical resource for making money online. When you sign up or buy through links on this post, we may receive compensation. Disclosure.
Ibotta is a reputable rewards apps that offers users cash back on everyday purchases at any of the partner stores. The company has been around since 2011 and partners with over 1500 brands and retailers. To date, the company has paid out over $1 billion in cash to its over 35 million users. It is free to join and you can start earning rewards on purchases ranging from groceries to electronics.
- 2 different ways to earn cash back – you can shop online using the Ibotta browser extension or shop in-store and upload your receipt via the app.
- High cash back potential – earn up to $30 cash back on your purchases. On average, most Ibotta users can also earn up to $150 per year in cash back.
- Generous referral bonus – Get a $5 referral bonus when you invite a friend to join the platform and they redeem their first offer on the app.
- Wide range of partner stores – Ibotta partners with over 1500 brands where you can earn cash back, including groceries, clothing, alcohol and more.
- High minimum cash out amount – you will need to have at least $20 in your account to request for bank or PayPal transfer, and $25 for a gift card.
- Account maintenance fees – if you are inactive on the app for 6 consecutive months or more, the platform will charge you a $3.99 monthly fee.
Best Cashback Sites
18 ways to earn money – surveys, coupons, cashbacks + $5 sign up bonus
Up to 10% cashback from stores – Walmart, Amazon, Best Buy, JCPenney
Most members can earn an extra $50 – $200 a month using Swagbucks
Get 25% bonus if you find another site with a higher cashback rate
Over 5000 stores where you can get cashback up to 40% on your spending
5 different ways to get rewards and 6 different ways to cash out your earnings
What is Ibotta?
Ibotta is a savings app offering you cash-backs while shopping either online or in-store with Amazon, Target and more. Ibotta mainly targets grocery stores, but also offers special deals to shop with other retailers as well. Ibotta currently features a total of 1,500 brands of grocery stores, drugstore chains and warehouse clubs including Walmart, Aldi, Petco, Walgreens, Domino’s Pizza, Sephora and others.
You can find your local stores in the app and set them as favorites so they pop up first when you open your app.
Is Ibotta Legit?
Ibotta has been accredited by the Better Business Bureau since 2016 and has a B rating.
Although some users report Ibotta having weak customer service, the majority of customers had no issues with the company.
Ibotta Sign Up Bonus
Ibotta offers you two welcome bonuses that you can redeem as soon as you join the app. In total, you have an opportunity to earn up to $20 with Ibotta sign up bonuses.
Welcome Bonus #1: Redeem your very first offer using the Ibotta app within 7 days of registering to get your $5 Welcome Bonus.
Welcome Bonus #2: Redeem your first 9 in-store or online shopping offers to get a $15 Welcome Bonus.
How Does Ibotta Work?
There are two ways to get rewards from Ibotta: online and in-store. Let’s take a look at how you can start getting cash-backs with Ibotta either way.
# 1. Online
On your phone
- Step 1: Download the Ibotta app on your iPhone or Android smartphone.
- Step 2: Choose the online store you want to visit and shop as usual.
- Step 3: Save – the app will calculate the amount of cashback and add it to your Ibotta wallet.
On your computer
- Step 1: Add Ibotta Chrome Extension to your browser by clicking the ‘Add To Chrome’ button.
- Step 2: Log in with your Ibotta account or create a new one.
- Step 3: Activate the extension to earn cash-back on your purchases. When you visit a supported online store, the extension will pop up notifying you of offers on the website.
# 2. In-store
Option 1: Loyalty linking. Link your loyalty accounts to your favorite retailers in the Ibotta app. When you use your linked loyalty accounts at checkout, your purchases will be linked to qualifying offers in your purchase.
Option 2: Receipt submission. In your app, choose a retailer and add offers for products you plan to buy. After completing your purchase, simply upload a photo of your receipt in your Ibotta app to get qualifying cash backs.
Option 3: Pay with Ibotta. Using ‘Pay with Ibotta’, you will get an additional 10% cash-back on your entire purchase instantly. To claim this benefit, simply connect your debit or credit card in your Ibotta app. Use ‘Pay with Ibotta’ at checkout to earn an extra reward on your purchase. Additionally, upload your recipe in your app to get even more cash-back on individual offers.
Bonus Tip: Activate nearby offer alerts. When you enable nearby offer alerts, you will get notifications from the Ibotta app to never miss an opportunity of earning cash-backs. To activate notifications, simply navigate to Account > Settings > Preferences and turn on Nearby Offer Alerts.
How Much Cashback You Can Get for Ibotta Purchases?
The amount of cash-back you can earn for your Ibotta purchases varies from store to store and whether it’s an online or in-store purchase. You can review how much some of the most popular shops offer.
- Walmart – earn $0.25 to $4 cash-back on each qualifying product when shopping in-store.
- Groupon – you can earn up to 10% cash-back.
- Bed, Bath & Beyond – earn 2% cash-back on a single product on your online purchases.
- Macy’s – you have an opportunity to earn 15% cash-back.
- Shoes.com – offers 5% cash-back on qualifying products.
- The Body Shop – earn 5% cash-back on your online purchase.
- Sephora – lets you earn 2% cash-back online.
- Udemy – join the largest online learning platform and get an 8% cash-back.
- Booking.com – allows you to earn a 4% cash-back when you book a stay at a qualifying hotel.
- PetSmart.com – offers you 10% cash-back online.
What Are Other Ways to Earn with Ibotta?
Refer friends to earn more with Ibotta. You will get $5 for each friend that joins Ibotta with your referral code. They need to redeem their first offer in order for you to claim your bonus. There’s no limit on how many friends you can refer to Ibotta as long as they are unique individuals.
Earn bonuses to maximize your Ibotta earnings. Simply tap Earn More in your Ibotta app to view available bonus opportunities for you. There are two types of redemptions for bonuses, specific and non-specific.
- Specific redemption is an offer or set of offers that you need to redeem to apply for a Bonus. For example, brand A offers a Bonus in the app allowing you to earn $2 for redeeming two other offers associated with the Bonus. Offer 1 is to purchase a specific product by brand A. Offer 2 is to purchase another specific product by brand A.
- Non-specific redemption is an offer or set of offers that you need to redeem within a certain period of time to apply for a bonus. For example, ‘Midweek Money Maker Bonus’ will earn you $2 when you redeem 10 offers within the next 3 days.
Bonus streaks reward you for buying the same brand over multiple shopping trips. You can find Bonus Streaks under the Earn More section in your app. The streaks get updated occasionally, so make sure you check the section every week not to miss the opportunities.
When Does Ibotta Pay Out?
Once your Ibotta earnings reach $20 you have an option to either withdraw your funds to your PayPal, bank account or gift cards.
Ibotta offers gift cards from 20 brands, including:
Ibotta Pros & Cons
- Makes saving fun and interactive. It’s always interesting to check out the Ibotta app and find new offers you can redeem.
- Partners with a variety of grocery stores, offering solid cash-backs for your everyday shopping experience.
- Offers different kinds of bonuses along with cash-backs so you can earn even more.
- Customer care usually takes a while to respond to your questions.
Ibotta vs Rakuten
Ibotta is mainly targeted at rewarding you while shopping in grocery stores, but also partners with other popular retailers as well. On the other hand, Rakuten features a greater variety of shopping categories to choose from.
When it comes to choosing Ibotta vs Rakuten, I suggest you check out cash-back opportunities each one offers in your desired store.
One of the main advantages of Ibotta is that it allows you to withdraw earnings once your balance reaches $20. Rakuten makes payouts quarterly, only according to its predetermined schedule.
Ibotta vs Honey
Even though Ibotta and Honey offer the same services, Ibotta is more popular among shopping-savvy people. One of the main reasons might be the variety of grocery stores Ibotta partners with, compared to Honey, who mainly features apparel shops.
Ibotta vs BeFrugal
Just like Ibotta, BeFrugal offers you discount codes, special sales and cash backs when shopping with different retailers. However, Ibotta is more robust and reputable among shoppers.
Ibotta vs TopCashBack
TopCashBack is one of the oldest and popular alternatives to Ibotta. However, in recent years Ibotta wins over TopCashBack in terms of awareness among shopping-savvy people.
Ibotta vs RebateKey
RebateKey is a website that offers you rebates, cash-backs, coupons, and deals on various products sold on Amazon.
Is it Worth Signing up with Ibotta?
What’s best about the app is that Ibotta is mainly focused on rewarding you for grocery shopping. This means Ibotta partners with far more grocery stores than any other couponing app. The company’s focus on grocery stores allows you to earn cash-backs on your everyday shopping routine.
However, if you want to earn cash-backs while shopping for apparel or cosmetics, you can do it within the same app as well.
Overall, joining Ibotta is totally worth it as there’s no membership fee to pay and you get rewards for doing your regular shopping.