9 Places To Sell Used Sports Equipment
SidelineSwap is a platform connecting athletes so they can sell and buy new and used sports equipment and gear.
In order to sell your used sports gear through SidelineSwap, just follow the simple steps below:
- First, list your item for free in seconds by uploading a few images and adding a little description.
- When someone buys your sports gear, they will pay for shipping as well and you should ship your item.
- Finally, you can transfer your funds to your bank account after the buyer receives your item.
Don’t know how to price your items? Don’t worry, because SidelineSwap offers you the value guide where you can check all the recent purchases.
For example, you could get around $160 for Wilson A2000 Baseball Glove.
Note that there’s a 12% SidelineSwap fee when your item sells (+3% payment processing fee) for your first 5 sales. Starting from 6th sale, you’ll pay 9% selling fee along with the same fee for payment processing.
eBay is a go-to online marketplace many people check when they seek used sports items.
You can easily list your sports and fitness equipment on eBay for free. Just upload a few images of your item and a short description.
However, you’ll be charged a 10% (maximum $750) final value fee when your item sells.
While you are responsible for handling shipping, you can charge your buyer a separate fee for shipping.
As soon as your item sells, you’ll receive your payment via PayPal.
- Easy to use interface that helps customers find what they need
- Personal data protection as the site is SSL certified – SSL helps affirm identity and protects personal data
- Geartrade only lists sporting goods; this is one of the things people like the most about the site
- You can opt to have a higher price tag for your gear
GearTrade values sustainability and is a business that helps people give their gear a new life by selling their unwanted sports equipment.
Selling your sports gear through GearTrade is simple:
- First, create your account to upload images of your item and add a short description.
- Once your item sells, you should ship it to your buyer’s address and fill in the tracking number on GearTrade.
- Finally, when the buyer receives your item, you’ll receive your payment via PayPal, Venmo or ACH transfer.
Be aware that there’s a flat selling fee of 13% that you’ll be charged only after your item sells.
Play it Again Sports
Play It Again Sports lets you recycle your used sports and fitness equipment in 3 different ways:
- Sell it – the company will buy your used gear directly so you don’t have to seek buyers. Just bring your items at Play It Again Sports store near you.
- Trade it – bring in your used sports gear to get credit to buy anything in the Play It Again Sports store.
- Consign it – some locations offer consignment on select items. This means the store will offer your item for sale and pay you a certain price that you negotiated after it has sold.
Selling your sports equipment to pawn shops is a great option as well. However, it takes time and hassle driving through local pawn shops seeking the best price offer for your items.
Pawn Guru simplifies the process of choosing the best pawn shop for you. It lets you post your sports gear and get quotes from your local pawn shops. You can then compare the offers and accept the one that’s giving you the most cash for your item.
Sports Exchange is a local sports equipment shop that offers 3 ways to get rid of your unwanted gear in exchange for cash.
- Consignment – will give you the most money. Just bring your sports equipment to the Sports Exchange store. They will sell it for you and contact you to get your money (60% of what your gear sells for).
- Buy – option is the fastest one as the company will pay you instantly when you bring in your item.
- Trade – this option allows you to exchange your item for another one. When you trade your item, you will get an in-store credit that you can spend either instantly or for your future purchase.
In order to get a quote for your used sports gear, I recommend you call the company at 480-833-1166
Listing your used sports gear on Facebook Marketplace is an easy way to sell your items locally.
Facebook Marketplace is free and easy to use. You just need to navigate to the Facebook Marketplace and create your post. Simply write a short description, upload images showcasing your item and set your price.
As you’re selling locally, you can hand in your gear to your buyer in-person and accept payment in cash.
OfferUp strives to be the most trusted and simplest online marketplaces where you can sell used items locally.
Accordingly, you can sell any of your used sports and fitness equipment through this platform.
Setting up your listing on OfferUp is free:
- First, download the OfferUp app for iPhone or Android to upload images and write a short description of your sports gear.
- Once your item sells, you can communicate with your buyer to arrange handling and payment.
- Finally, you will either meet the buyer to hand your item or ship it and get your payment in cash or via OfferUp app.
Note that you need to pay a 12.9% commission fee after your item sells.
Nextdoor is all about creating meaningful connections within the neighborhoods. The platform allows you to connect with your neighbors online and sell your used items easily.
Currently, there are 270,000 neighborhoods across 11 countries available on the platform.
To join your neighborhood and sell your used gear locally, just join the platform for free.
How To Get More Money For Your Used Sports Equipment?
As you’ve seen, there are plenty of opportunities to sell your used sports equipment.
But can you do anything to maximize your earnings?
Here are some of the most important factors that might maximize the price of your used sports equipment.
- Clean it. This is the most important factor that could impact the price of your used sports equipment. Clean stuff always looks more attractive than dirty and it creates the feeling that the item is gently used.
- Take clear photos. As photography is the first thing catching potential buyers’ eyes, you should make sure it is clear and looks attractive. Place your equipment in front of a plain background and make sure there’s enough lighting. You could place outdoor sports equipment on a nice lawn, court, etc.
- Communicate effectively. First of all, be honest about the equipment’s condition you’re selling. Don’t lie to potential buyers in your listing or when they contact you. Also make sure you stay polite while communicating with potential buyers as rudeness may cost you losing a buyer.