- Up to 40% cash-back
- Close to 2500 stores available
- Get $25 for each referred friend
- Free $10 sign-up bonus
- Quarterly payout
- May encourage impulse buying
Best Cashback Sites
Up to 40% cash-back for your regular purchases
Close to 2500 participating retailers available
Get $25 once your friend spends at least $25 using Rakuten
BeFrugal will pay 125% of cash back offered on other platforms
BeFrugal partners with over 5,000 brands
The minimum cashout is as little as one cent
What is Rakuten?
Rakuten (previously known as Ebates) is the largest online shopping marketplace helping you to earn cash-backs on your regular online purchases. Rakuten first appeared on the market in 1997 and is striving to shape the way people shop ever since.
Today, Rakuten is offering you cash-backs, deals and shopping rewards on the world’s largest selection of products and services.
The reason Rakuten offers you cash-backs is simple. When you shop through Rakuten, brands like Amazon pay them the commission for referring you to them. Rakuten then splits this commission and pays you so-called cash-back to thank you for helping them out.
Is Rakuten Legit?
Getting cash-backs on your regular purchases sounds too good to be true. However, Rakuten is legit and trusted by reputable brands like Amazon, Old Navy, Nike, Sephora, Ray-Ban and many more.
The company also takes all the necessary measures to comply with the General Data Protection Regulations.
Rakuten Sign Up Bonus
Rakuten offers you a $10 sign up bonus as a cash or gift card to thank you for joining the company. To claim your bonus, first, you need to sign up on Rakuten.com or using a mobile app.
Once you spend at least $25 through Rakuten within 90 days, the $10 bonus will be applied to your account.
How Does Rakuten Work?
Step 1 – Start at Rakuten
Step 2 – Shop like usual
Once you place an order, Rakuten will automatically add a cash-back to your account.
Step 3 – Get paid
Rakuten will pay you either through PayPal or with a check, it’s your choice.
How Much Cashback You Can Get for Rakuten Purchases?
The amount of cash-backs you can get for your purchases with Rakuten varies from store to store. Let’s review some of the most popular brands and how much cash-back they offer you for Rakuten purchases below.
- Nike – you can get 8% cash-back on qualifying orders.
- Samsung – you can get 3% cash-back on categories like mobile phones & accessories, tablets, laptops, wearables and home appliances. And 2% cash-back on TVs & home theater and other categories.
- AT&T – currently offers cash-back of up to $150
- Sephora – you can shop most cosmetics brands on Sephora online with a 6% cash-back.
- Macy’s – shopping at Macy’s can get you a 1.5% cash-back on furniture and mattresses and 3% on all other categories.
- Ray-Ban – Rakuten offers 4% cash-back for purchases from Ray-Ban along with official discounts of up to 50%.
- Anker – along with discounts of up to 60%, you will get a 4% cash-back.
- Groupon – cash-back on Groupon is currently up to 6%.
- Canva – you will get 40% cash-back when you sign up for Canva paid subscription
- Postmates – get $5 off your first 5 orders and additional cash-back of up to $7 from Rakuten.
What Are Other Ways to Earn with Rakuten?
Rakuten Cash-Back Visa card
Rakuten offers you a free Visa card so you can earn even more cash-backs every day. You will get a $10 bonus for your first purchase with a Rakuten Visa card.
You will earn an additional $1 cash-back everywhere, where payments with Visa are accepted.
The card also gives you an opportunity to get back an additional 3% on qualifying orders through Rakuten.com, In-store, Rakuten Travel and Rakuten Hotels.
Rakuten allows you to earn cash-backs even when you shop in physical stores. Cash-back of up to 6% is available in 77 shops, including H&M, Guess, Intimissimi, Gap, BareMinerals and many more.
You can check out the full list of available stores as well the amount of cash-back each one offers here. To claim in-store cash-backs, you need to link the offer to your debit card using the Rakuten app.
Hot Deals feature special discounts, including the following:
- Buy Online, Pick Up in Store – lets you purchase something online and pick it up in store to eliminate the time needed to ship the item.
- Free Gifts – shows you which shops are offering free gifts with qualifying purchases.
- Free Shipping – shows you how to qualify for free shipping for certain stores.
- Gift Cards – allows you to earn cash-backs on gift card purchases.
- Buy One, Get One (BOGO) – shows you where to find BOGO deals with popular brands.
Events and Double Cash Back
Rakuten offers double cash-backs on certain stores. This means you will get what you could have earned in these stores doubled. This is a great option for when you want to shop, but don’t have a certain store in mind. You can check out which shops Rakuten features for Double Cash-Back promotion.
When you refer a friend to Rakuten, both you and your friend will get paid. Use this link to refer Rakuten to a friend. Your friend will get $10 when he/she joins Rakuten with your referral link. And you will get $25 once your friend spends at least $25 using Rakuten.
When Does Rakuten Pay Out?
Rakuten will release the funds from your account to your PayPal or mail you a check quarterly, according to the schedule below.
|Jan 1 – Mar 31||May 15|
|Apr 1 – Jun 30||Aug 15|
|Jul 1 – Sep 30||Nov 15|
|Oct 1 – Dec 31||Feb 15|
Rakuten Pros & Cons
- Easy to use. Whether you’re using the Rakuten website, mobile app or chrome extension, shopping with Rakuten is extremely easy.
- Cash-back on your regular purchases. Rakuten has cash-back offers from thousands of stores. This allows you to get cash-backs when purchasing the products that you had planned to buy anyway.
- Great variety of shops to choose from. Rakuten offers you cash-back deals in more than 2,500 stores.
- Quarterly payout. Rakuten releases your cash-backs only according to its schedule. This means it might take months before you can access your money.
- May encourage impulse buying. Getting a cash-back is intimidating. It might encourage people to spend more than they wanted to and buy stuff they didn’t need.
Rakuten vs Ibotta
Ibotta mainly helps you save on your grocery purchases. Ibotta shows you the coupons and offers that you can download to your Ibotta app. After you finish shopping, you need to scan the receipt in order to redeem any eligible offers.
Unlike Ibotta, Rakuten is much more diversified offering you coupons and promotions on various shopping categories.
Rakuten vs Honey
Both Rakuten and Honey offer many of the same features, but your choice depends on what you want to buy and which company offers you a better deal for your needs.
Rakuten vs BeFrugal
BeFrugal is another alternative to Rakuten. However, in the debates between Rakuten vs BeFrugal, Rakuten is a clear winner. Compared to BeFrugal, Rakuten offers more deals that are profitable for you and is more reputable.
Rakuten vs TopCashBack
Just like Rakuten, TopCashBack offers you discount codes, special sales and cash-backs when you shop with different retailers. However, Rakuten is more robust and reputable among shoppers.
Is it Worth Signing up with Rakuten?
If you are a frequent shopper and would like to earn rewards on your purchases, Rakuten is definitely worth joining.
However, I recommend using Rakuten to purchase only the products you had planned to buy anyway. Don’t shop just because of a cash-back offer.
Make sure you read the cash-back terms as they usually contain important exclusions of getting the advertised cash-back.