DollarBreak is reader-supported, when you sign up through links on this post, we may receive compensation. Disclosure.
Decluttr is a trade in program that specializes in used tech and media such as CDs, DVDs, and Blu-rays. The platform offers users a hassle-free way to exchange their unwanted tech and media for cash, featuring instant valuations and next-day payment upon delivery of the item. Since Decluttr was founded almost a decade ago in 2013, the company has paid hundreds of millions of dollars to its users.
- Next-day payment upon delivery – get paid just 1 day after Decluttr confirms that they have received the goods you have sent them in the mail.
- Get the best prices for your used tech – according to the company, they pay up to 33% more as compared to any other carrier buyback program.
- 2 different payment options available – you can get paid either via direct deposit (clears within 3 days) or via PayPal (clears within 24 hours).
- Student discount – you can get 10% extra on your valuation when you sell your used media and even textbooks to Decluttr if you are a student..
- Low offers – the company will scrutinize your tech and media to find damages, and the final offer tends to be 20-30% lower than the initial offer.
- Long wait time for free shipping service – if you opt for Decluttr’s free shipping service, it can take up to 10 days for your items to reach them.
Jump to: Full Review
Compare to Other Sites to Sell Stuff
Over 3 million products sold in 12 months with a year limited warranty
Sell smartphones, tablets, laptops books, watches, video games and Lego
Get a free instant item valuation, ship your item for free and get paid
No fees for sellers – buyers pay no fees up $50 items. $5+ thereafter
Sell computers, home tech, cameras, phones, watches, laptops and tablets
Sell your item directly to buyer and get paid the next day via PayPal
What is Decluttr?
Decluttr is a platform offering an easy way to sell your used media. The company is based in Georgia and has established a solid reputation. The company has superb Decluttr review comments and an excellent 4.6 out of 5 rating on Trustpilot.
The Declutter app also has solid ratings:
While there are other sites to sell stuff locally, many lack this impressive reputation.
How Decluttr Works?
Decluttr aims to make it easy to sell your unwanted items. You can sell video games, DVDs, CDs, tech items, and even lego. Once you’ve decided which items you want to sell, you can enter the barcode of each item into the Decluttr website. Alternatively, you can scan the barcodes using the smartphone app.
After scanning each item, the item information will auto fill, and Decluttr will provide you with a price offer.
Decluttr also has a “Tech Price Promise” for your technology items. This offers a guarantee that you will receive the first price Decluttr offers, or you can have the item sent back to you. For example, if you get an initial offer of $50 for your old iPad, but the offer drops once they receive the item, you can have it sent back to you at no charge.
Once you have scanned your items, you’ll need to submit your details and box up your items. Decluttr will mail you a prepaid UPS shipping label. Then you just need to stick it to your parcel and drop it off at your local UPS pick up point.
After Decluttr receives your items, they will inspect your items and issue payment the next day.
You can also browse the Decluttr store as a buyer. So, be sure to browse the site for some bargains.
Decluttr will issue payment the following day after inspection.
What Can You Sell on Decluttr?
While you may not be able to sell everything on Decluttr, you may be surprised at the in demand items. These include:
While most modern artists sell digital copies of their latest releases, there is still a thriving market for used CDs. If you have CDs that you no longer want, it may be worth checking out how much you can get on Decluttr. Popular Decluttr CDs include One Direction and AC/DC.
DVDs and Blu-Rays:
Many people now use streaming services to access their favorite movies and television shows. So, if you want to release some cash, why not trade in your old DVDs and Blu-Rays.
If you have games that have lost their replay value, you can exchange your used games to make some extra cash. Even if you have played a game to death, there are likely to be other gamers who want to try the game for themselves.
This is the least valued category of items on Decluttr, but it is worth checking what Decluttr will offer for your popular novels. You can also sell textbooks, so it is a good idea to compare the offer with other book buying platforms.
Decluttr accepts a number of different cell phone types from Apple and Samsung to LG, HTC, and others. If you’ve upgraded to a new cell phone, don’t leave your old one losing value in a drawer; sell it to Decluttr. You can also trade in your broken phone.
You can also sell your used Kindles, Apple products, video game consoles, and smartwatches.
Finally, you can sell Lego bricks by weight.
How To Get Started With Decluttr?
The easiest way to get started with Decluttr is to download the app. This will allow you to scan your items directly with your smartphone. However, you can also set up your Decluttr on the website.
The account sign up process involves providing:
- Your name
- Email address
- Date of birth
- Telephone number
- A password
At this point in the sign up process, you can also opt to receive news, offers, and discounts.
Once you have set up your account, you can log in at any time to get quotes on your unwanted items.
How Much Can You Make on Decluttr?
You may now be wondering, is this a good place to sell your used stuff and how much can you make. There is no simple answer to this. Your earning potential will depend on what items you are looking to sell.
If you have CDs and DVDs that are in demand, a relatively new iPhone, or other recent tech, you can expect to earn far more than someone who just has a few old battered novels.
While you may want to get the most money for your items, it is important to be honest about the condition of your items. The Decluttr team will inspect your items upon receipt, so if they are found to be more damaged, you will receive a lower offer.
How Does Decluttr Pay?
Decluttr offers three different payment methods for your items. These are:
- Direct deposit
There is also the option to donate your earnings to charity.
Decluttr provides a price for each item you scan using the Decluttr app. This is the price you can expect to receive, so you don’t need to worry about incurring any fees or charges. Decluttr even covers the shipping costs, as the company provides a shipping label.
Pros and Cons of Decluttr
- Get cash for unwanted items: As the platform name suggests, you can declutter your home and make some extra cash.
- Excellent reputation: Decluttr has an excellent Trustpilot rating and solid Decluttr review comments on both Google Play and the Apple Store.
- Genuine recycling: These days, many of us want to live a greener lifestyle, but Decluttr allows your unwanted items to have a new purpose with someone else.
- Tech Price Promise: If your tech item is devalued upon inspection, you have the option to accept the new offer or have your item returned for free.
- Damage queries: There are some Decluttr review comments that highlight possible issues with damage. Some reviewers have complaints about the Decluttr team, stating there is more damage than they reported. However, the customer support team is willing to quickly resolve disputes.
- Low offers: The Decluttr resale market isn’t necessarily fair to the seller. So, there is a chance you will receive an offer that is far lower than you may get elsewhere. However, you don’t have the hassle of listing your item, negotiating with buyers etc.
- Not for every item: Decluttr has a very specific list of items that you can sell on the platform. You can’t sell all tech items, and you may need to have a specific brand of device.
- You need your own packaging: Although Decluttr does provide a shipping label, you will need to provide your own packaging.
Used marketplace platforms and apps are quite common, so Decluttr is not unique. There are some solid alternatives that may be better suited to your requirements.
Decluttr vs. Amazon
Amazon is a household name, and if you frequently use the site, you’re likely to have seen the purchase offers on the product pages. This platform will buy back movies, books, games, and more. Like Decluttr, you’ll get an offer price for your items, but rather than receiving cash; you’ll get Amazon gift cards.
Decluttr vs. Gazelle
Gazelle is one of the leading “reCommerce” platforms. However, unlike Decluttr, Gazelle focuses solely on used tablets and phones.
You can receive an offer in one minute, but then you will need to take your item to a local kiosk to get your cash.
Decluttr vs. SecondSpin
SecondSpin has been around since the 1980s. This platform allows you to sell your DVDs, Blu-rays, CDs, video games, and even vinyl. You can redeem your earnings via PayPal or check.
Decluttr vs. Bookscouter
Books are one of the low value items on Decluttr, so it is worth checking out how much you can make on Bookscouter. This platform specializes in reselling books. You can obtain quotes from several reseller sites to find the best prices. It is well worth checking your books with Bookscouter before you see what Declutter offers.
Is Decluttr worth it?
If you have unwanted CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays, and tech, you can transform this into extra cash. Decluttr makes it easy to sell these items, just by simply scanning the barcode for each item. The company will even send you a prepaid shipping label, so you can just box them up and send them.
Once your items have been inspected, you’ll receive payment via direct deposit, PayPal or check.
You can also use Decluttr to find used bargains to buy. So, if you want to declutter your media shelf and get some cash or buy some new products, Decluttr is certainly worthy of consideration.
Is Decluttr legit?
Decluttr is certainly a legit platform. The company has an excellent Trustpilot rating, and it has Better Business Bureau accreditation. While there are some negative comments on these platforms and other review sites, there are many satisfied buyers and sellers on Decluttr.