DollarBreak is reader-supported with the goal to become the ultimate practical resource for making money online. When you sign up or buy through links on this post, we may receive compensation. Disclosure.
- On average make around $17.50 per walk
- Set your own schedule and manage your services
- Dog owners can tip you via app
- Company donates meals to rescue dogs
- Wag takes 40% off the top of our payments
- You have to pay $25 for a background check
Best Gig Economy Jobs
$1 sign up bonus
$0.50-$3 on average per survey + Branded Elite Program – extra points for active members
Average survey length is 15 min and minimum payout is $10
Earn $15 to $25 per hour
DoorDash allows you to keep 100% of your customer tips
You have the freedom to pick and choose which orders you want to accept.
What is Wag?
The simplest way to describe Wag is like dog walking’s version of Uber. If a pet owner needs someone to walk their dog, they just need to open up Wag and order services.
As a dog walker, you can sign up and receive notifications when someone in your area is in need of dog walking services.
So, it is a win-win scenario. Dog owners will know their pet is in good hands and getting the exercise they need. While you can create a decent side hustle spending time with some new furry friends.
Is Wag Walking Legit?
Wag is certainly a legit company. It has been operating since 2015 and has established a 3.8 out of 5 rating on Trustpilot. There are numerous Wag review comments that support this, complimenting the platform on how easy it is to use the app and how dog owners can connect with reliable and caring dog walkers.
How Does Wag Work?
Through the Wag app, owners can request dog walking services. It also lets the owner know when the walker confirms availability. Most walkers can fulfil a request within 30 minutes of a request.
There are three different types of walk on Wag:
- ASAP: This is for owners who need an on demand dog walk as soon as possible.
- One time: This is to schedule a walk at a specific time in the future.
- Recurring: This allows owners to set a recurring schedule for a weekly walk.
Pet owners who sign up to Wag will also receive a free lockbox. This allows you access to house keys if the dog owner is not at home.
The app also allows owners to leave instructions about the dog’s needs or other tendencies. During the walk, you can provide reassurance for the owner with notifications about the dog’s progress and GPS tracking.
After the walk, you will need to complete a pup report that includes notes and a photo. You will also need to confirm you have locked the home after dropping off the dog.
While dog walking is the most popular Wag service, you can also offer dog sitting or boarding services.
Set Your Schedule
With the platform, you can set your own schedule. This allows you to walk as much or as little as you like. You can connect with dog owners in your area and view the available requests when you’re ready to work.
The requests detail:
- The requested time of the walk
- How long it should be
- The type of dog
- How far away it is.
You can then choose the walks that you would like to accept. This can be one time walks, recurring or both.
It is important to note that Wag recommends you arrive at the home on time and wearing suitable clothing and footwear. It is a good idea to bring some poop bags, in case the owner forgets to provide them. If you have any queries or the owner has forgotten to provide some information, you can contact the owners through the app during the dog walk.
You will also need to take the time to complete the report card after each walk. This is a great feature, since the owner may not meet you face to face. So, it is crucial to take notes of how the walk went.
How to Become a Wag Dog Walker?
Wag makes it simple to get started. The platform encourages walkers with experience, but as long as you are responsible and professional, you can apply.
The application process begins with a questionnaire about you and your experience. You can detail any pet sitting or dog walking experience.
You will then need to complete a series of assessments. These include:
- A quiz on safety and dog care. This evaluates your knowledge of proper walking techniques.
- A collar and harness test. This is an assessment to test you on your knowledge of the types of harnesses and collars you may encounter on your walks.
- Situational assessment: This tests your ability to handle unpredictable and varied situations. For example, how to recognize and deal with aggression.
Complete a Background Check:
Once you complete all the assignments, you will need to complete a background check. Wag charges a $25 fee for this.
Set Up Your Profile:
You can now set up your profile. You’ll need to write a short bio and upload a professional photo. Remember, your profile is how dog owners will get to know you, so you need to showcase your professionalism and trustworthiness.
What Are the Requirements to Join Wag?
There are several requirements to join the Wag platform. These include:
- Age 18+
- Have experience with dogs
- Access to transportation to get to the jobs
- Be in sufficient physical condition to handle the walks
- Have a compatible Android or iPhone device.
How Much Do Wag Dog Walkers Make?
Wag has three base rates for different walks.
- 20 minute walk: $9
- 30 minutes: $12
- 60 minute: $18
Additionally, you can keep all of your customer tips. The app does encourage owners to tip. So, it is important to complete the pup reports carefully and ensure that the owner is reassured about their dog’s status.
You’ll be paid for your services through the online payment platform, Payable. This system connects to your bank account through the app. Each week, you’ll receive an automatic deposit for the funds you earn for complete walks.
What are Wag Fees?
While the Wag app is free to download, there are some costs associated with becoming a Wag walker. The main fee is for the background check. This costs $25.
This is an upfront cost, but it is a vital part of the application process. Wag attracts dog owners to the platform with the reassurance that all walkers have been vetted to ensure that they are responsible and trustworthy.
Additionally, Wag charges a 40% commission rate on your earnings.
Wag Pros & Cons
- Customer tips: Wag allows you to keep 100% of your customer tips. This can make a significant difference to your rate of pay.
- Flexible hours: You can select when you would like to work and when you are unavailable. You can log into the app at any time to check what walk requests are available in your area.
- Pick and Choose Walks: You also have the flexibility to pick and choose which walks you would like to accept. So, if you prefer working one off walks or would like to build a rapport with recurring walks, you can choose appropriate appointments.
- Long winded application process: With an application form, background check and multiple assessments, the application process is rather long winded.
- Low base rate: While you can get to keep your tips, the base pay rate is a little low.
- Only one dog at a time: Wag recommends that you only walk one dog at a time. Since you need to fill in a detailed pup report for each animal, walking more than one could be a challenge.
Wag vs Rover
The main competitor of Wag is Rover. This is a very similar platform as it also offers dog walking and pet sitting. The key difference between Wag and Rover is that Rover allows you to decide how many dogs you can walk at a time. This makes it easier to scale your dog walking business. If you have the capabilities, you can walk several dogs to maximize your hourly rate. This is not an option with Wag.
Additionally, Rover allows you to set your own rates. While you need to be competitive, this also increases your earning potential. The Rover commission rate is also lower at 20%.
Wag vs Petsitter
Unlike Wag, Petsitter is a self service agency. This means that you don’t need to pass assessments or a background check. Instead, you can use this platform like a job board to find dog walking clients or dog sitting tasks.
The site does provide support and resources for dog walkers including guidance and articles. However, you mostly need to manage your own jobs.
This does allow you to have greater flexibility compared to Wag. But, it can be trickier to find clients. You can expect to earn up to $15 per hour, which is lower than the Wag base rate.
Wag vs PetBacker
PetBacker is a dog walking app that doesn’t require a lot of tests to get started. So, it is easier to get started compared to Wag.
You can register with the site and list your services, including pet boarding, dog walking and pet grooming. The site allows you to set your own rates, but the average is around $15 per hour. Just be aware that you will need to pay a service fee of up to 25%.
One similarity with Wag is that you still need to pass a background check to sign up for PetBacker.
Is Wag Worth It?
If you’re looking to get started with dog walking, Wag is a great option. Although the sign up process may be daunting, it does manage finding clients and organizes your payments. This can allow you to concentrate on your core business; getting to know and walking some furry friends.
The base rates are not the highest, but you do get to keep 100% of your tips. You can also pick and choose which jobs you want to accept. So, you can build your dog walking business around your schedule and other commitments.