DollarBreak is reader-supported with the goal to become the ultimate practical resource for making money online. When you sign up or buy through links on this post, we may receive compensation. Disclosure.
Best Job Search Websites
FlexJobs has a rich database of jobs available for every field
It’s particularly easy to sort and find jobs that are most suited for you
FlexJobs guarantees that all its jobs are 100% scam-free
Real salary data from the 7.5 million jobs posted every day
There are no sign-up or other fees associated
Get access to millions of job postings, including remote opportunities
14 Best Translators Jobs
To start working for translate.com, follow the simple procedure below:
- Fill out the online application
- Pass a language competency test
- You’re ready to translate
As long as you’re proficient in at least 2 languages, you can start working as a translator.
You can expect to earn $2.5 to $5 per 500 word document.
OneHour is providing translation services in more than 120 languages and is recruiting only experienced translators.
To become OneHour translator, you need to follow the steps below:
- Sign up to join OneHour
- Upload your CV and professional certificates
- Pass a professional translation exam
Translator jobs on OneHour vary in price, but on average you can earn $12 per hour.
Tethras is specializing in mobile app translation and recruiting translators from around the world. Tethras currently has over 6,000 apps published.
Follow the simple steps below to start translating for Tethras:
- First, join Tethras team
- Next, take a language proficiency test
- Finally, get approved and start translating mobile apps
Translating with Tethras will earn you 5-7 cents per word. This means, if you translate on average 1,000 words in one hour, you’ll be earning $50 – $70 per hour.
TextMaster is a platform allowing you access to a wide range of translation tasks. Once you register for TextMaster and get approved, you’ll be able to pick only the tasks that match your expertise.
In order to become a TextMaster translation freelancer, simply sign up and provide the required information about yourself.
TextMaster offers different types of tasks. For example, translating a 35,000-word annual report in finance can earn you $3,150. Translating a 1,200-word blog post about high tech could earn you $96.
On average, you can earn $0.10 per word as a TextMaster freelance translator.
Rev is providing various transcription services to its clients, including subtitle translation from and to English.
How to start working with Rev to translate subtitles?
- First, sign up to become a Rev freelancer
- Next, choose your work from the rich database of videos in need of subtitle translation
- Finally, translate the subtitles and get paid weekly via PayPal.
The amount you’ll earn translating subtitles vary from language to language. For example, translating French subtitles can earn you $3/minute while the rate for Spanish is $1.5/minute.
However, Rev claims you can earn over $950 per month translating subtitles, regardless the language you choose.
Unbabel is a tool providing website content translation services to website owners.
In order to become a translator for Unbabel, follow the steps below:
- Sign up and create your profile.
- Pass a translation exam.
- Complete training tasks – you will get a couple of unpaid tasks. Upon reaching 500 points, you’ll get approved and become an editor.
- Finally, receive feedback from fellow editors. Unbabel doesn’t check your accuracy, rather it’s more focused on how fast you complete the tasks. However, fellow editors review each other’s tasks and provide feedback.
As an Unbabel translator you can earn on average $20 per hour.
Acclaro is a global translating business providing professional translation services to its clients. On the other hand, Acclaro is recruiting translators to join their broad professional team.
Here’s how to get a translator job at Acclaro:
- First, choose the translation job that’s relevant to your expertise from the open translator jobs database
- After you pick a job, click the orange ‘apply now’ button and fill out the application
- Once you complete your application, Acclaro recruiter will contact you to guide you to the next steps
Lionbridge helps companies resonate with their customers by offering translation services. When you become a translator for Lionbridge, it matches you to jobs relevant to your expertise.
Here’s how to become a translator for Lionsbridge:
- First, view open projects and select the one matching your translation skills.
- Next, apply for the selected job providing detailed information about yourself and your expertise.
- Pass the screening procedures. At this step you may need to pass some qualification questionnaires.
- Finally, sign the agreement with Lionbridge.
Once you’re approved as a translator, Lionbridge will send you translation tasks when available and you can work remotely.
You can earn $22 – $24 per hour being a Lionbridge translator.
9. CSC Translation
CSC Translation is a canadian translation firm providing Canadian government, organizations, institutions and private companies ATIO certified translation services.
In order to fulfil their customer’s translation orders CSC Translation is frequently recruiting ATIO certified translators for following:
- Japanese translator jobs
- Spanish translator jobs
- Arabic translator jobs
- French translator jobs
- German translator jobs
- Russian translator jobs
- Portuguese translator jobs
If you consider applying for CSC Translation, simply reach out via email at email@example.com.
ProZ.com offers you the large database of translation jobs.
In order to get a translation job through ProZ.com, simply browse the open job database and apply for the relevant one.
The translator salary varies as ProZ.com allows different clients to post translation jobs.
TranslatorsCafe is another platform connecting professional freelance translators to clients.
In order to get a job through TranslatorsCafe, follow the steps below:
- Register to become a TranslatorsCafe member
- Search for the relevant job to your expertise
- And place your bid
The average translation rate on TranslatorsCafe varies from $0.03 – $0.10 per word.
12. VerbalizeIt / Smartling
Smartling acquired Verbalizet and is providing professionally translated video subtitles into 150 languages.
After you successfully submit your application, Smartling recruiter will contact you, guiding to the next steps.
As a freelance translator, you set your own pricing for Smartling and your earnings depend on how many orders you’ll get. Here’s the guide from Smartling to price your services the best way.
TheOpenMic is a community of freelance translators and companies seeking for translators.
In order to connect with people who need translation services, simply register at TheOpenMic. Once you’re registered, you’ll get access to various translation tasks.
As you are a freelancer on the platform, you have a freedom to set your own prices. Accordingly, your overall earnings will depend on how many tasks you’ll translate.
Unlike other translation websites, TranslationDirectory is a huge database of translators.
TranslationDirectory allows you to list your translation service and set your own pricing for clients to consider you when they need a translator.
Alternatively, you can search for specific translator jobs like japanese translator jobs, spanish translator jobs, etc.
As you’re working on a freelancer basis the amount you will earn depends on how you set your pricing. However, jobs already posted on the platform offer various prices from $5 to $50 per hour.
What is a Translator?
Translator is a person who converts information from one language to another in a written form.
What Translators Do?
- Read the original material.
- Research industry-specific terminology.
- Convert text files from one language to another.
- Ensure the translated content carries the same meaning and tone as the original one.
- Proofread translated texts for grammar, spelling and punctuation accuracy.
- Communicate with clients to ensure translation meets their needs.
What is the Average Salary for a Translators?
You can expect to earn on average $5,000 per month, totaling $60,000 annually.
How to Become a Translator with No Experience?
If you speak at least two languages fluently, you can become a translator even without any prior experience.
To become a translator when you have no experience, follow the step-by-step guide below:
- Decide between what languages you want to translate.
- Pick a niche you want to provide your service – e.g, legal, medical, economics, etc.
- Do a research and learn the relevant terminology to your niche.
- Take a course – “How to be a Successful Freelance Translator”
- Volunteer to translate for free to build your portfolio and a base of happy clients who may refer you to their friends.
- Read this article to find 16 best translator jobs and apply to your favorite one.
Is a Translator a Good Career?
As we’ve seen in the beginning of this article, a translator job is one of the fastest growing careers.
Taking this fact and statistics into consideration, becoming a translator is a good career choice nowadays.