DollarBreak goal is to empower readers to make better financial decisions. This post may contain affiliate links from our partners who share the same vision. Disclosure.
If you’re looking for a side hustle opportunity that you can work on from home, a transcription job is worth considering.
While many people think that advanced voice recognition softwares has eliminated jobs for human transcribers, there is still room for them. In fact, real people usually oversee the job done by above mentioned softwares as they aren’t 100% accurate.
Anyway, for now, transcription services are still in demand with an average pay of $45,000 annually.
Let’s dive in to take a look at 16 best transcription job opportunities you can consider today.
What is Transcription as a Job?
A transcriptionist’s job is to turn voice recordings into text documents. The voice recordings are usually done during the meetings where people discuss legal, medical or other topics.
As a transcriptionist, you must have an excellent command of language and accurate typing skills. Your daily duty will typically include typing as you listen in order to convert the audio file to a text document. It’s important to ensure the text document you created aligns with the voice recording 100%.
How Much Do You Make Transcribing Online?
You can expect to make on average $45,000 annually as a general transcriptionist. On the other hand, as a legal transcriptionist, you can earn around $60,000. And the best part is that as a remote transcriptionist, you don’t have to visit courts to make a transcription.
You will be provided an audio recording that’s made in the court and you just have to turn it to a text document from the comfort of your home.
How Can You Become a Good Transcriptionist?
If you have decided to become a transcriptionist, here are some tips to become a good one and maximize your earnings:
- First, take a free mini-course that will help you understand the specifics and decide if it’s the right job for you.
- Next, I would recommend you take a course and get certified to increase your opportunities. TranscribeAnywhere offers an all-inclusive theory and practice courses for General and Legal transcriptionists.
- Finally, you can start applying to jobs. In this article I have compiled the list of 14 best transcription jobs you can consider.
Best Freelance Jobs Sites
FlexJobs has a rich database of jobs available for every field
It’s particularly easy to sort and find jobs that are most suited for you
FlexJobs guarantees that all its jobs are 100% scam-free
Real salary data from the 7.5 million jobs posted every day
There are no sign-up or other fees associated
Get access to millions of job postings, including remote opportunities
14 Best Transcription Jobs and Companies to Work for
Scribie is a transcription agency allowing you to work from home. In order to get a job, simply follow the steps below:
- First, submit your application and confirm your email by visiting the link that is sent to you from Scribie via email.
- Next, the Scribie recruiting team will review your application and either accept or reject it within 1 business day.
- If you are accepted, you will receive an invitation to take a test via email.
- Finally, take the online test showcasing your qualification.
Passing the test successfully means you’ll get certified and start receiving audio files to transcribe.Average salary: $5 to $25 per audio hour.
Quicktate is another transcription agency, specializing in call transcriptions. The files you’ll be required to transcribe with Quicktate includes voicemail messages, phone call recordings, conference calls, memos, letters, etc.
Follow the steps below to get transcription jobs from Quicktate:
- First, fill out the online application at the bottom of this page.
- Next, take the quiz that determines if you’ll be accepted or not.
- Finally, you will be required to pass a background check, which costs $20.
Once you pass all the steps mentioned above, you will start receiving assignments from Quicktate.
Average salary: $3 per hour.
TranscribeMe is a crowdsourced transcription company providing you with transcription tasks.
In order to become TranscribeMe member and start getting assignments, follow the simple steps below:
- First, make a quick registration.
- Next, find an English test under the ‘Exams’ tab within your account and take it.
- Finally, wait for the TranscribeMe team to approve you as a transcriptionist. This process usually takes up to 12 days.
Once you’re verified, TranscribeMe will start assigning small pieces of audio files, each varying from 10 seconds to 1 minute.
Average salary: $15 – $22 per audio hour.
SpeakWrite is one of the biggest transcription company offering you transcription tasks.
Follow the simple steps below to get considered for transcriptionist job at SpeakWrite:
- First, fill out and submit the application form.
- Next, pass the typing test for speed and accuracy. To qualify for the job, you must have 60 WPM minimum average typing speed with 90%+ accuracy.
- Following, you should provide the company with more information about your work experience and availability. At this step you should also sign a Confidentiality Agreement.
- Once your information is approved, you’ll get access to training videos and quizzes. You should take them to get to know how the system works and understand the formatting policies.
- Finally, you’ll be required to download the SpeakWrite software and complete a few training jobs.
Once you complete all the steps above, you will receive live jobs and start earning.
Make sure you take a look at the requirements before applying to the job.
On average SpeakWrite transcriptionists make $450/month, while top workers go up to $3,400/month.
Speechpad offers you various transcription jobs and career development opportunities.
For example, when you first join Speechpad, you get a job as a transcriptionist. Once you obtain certain experience, you may get promoted to a Reviewer position where you’re required to review other transcriptionists’ work.
In order to get a job as a transcriptionist, simply apply to Speechpad as a transcriptionist.
Average salary: $0.25 – $2.5 per audio/video minute.
6. AccuTran Global
AccuTran Global is another transcription company providing you with transcription jobs.
In order to become a transcriptionist and get transcription tasks from AccuTran, simply click on the ‘Apply For Work’ button and submit your application.
Average salary: $0.40 per audio minute.
Rev recruits a team of transcriptionists to provide audio transcriptions and video captions on demand to its customers.
Becoming a Revver is simple:
- First, sign up as a freelancer.
- Then, take a quick quiz to showcase your English language proficiency.
- Next, do a short transcription sample and submit for review.
- Finally, if you get approved, you’ll be able to finish your registration and get assignments.
Average salary: $0.30 – $1.10 per audio/video minute.
8. Daily Transcription
Daily Transcription is another option when it comes to getting transcription a job.
To become a Daily Transcription member, simply follow the steps below:
- First, submit your application.
- Next, you need to pass ‘Skills Assessment’ and ‘Transcription’ tests. You need to show typing speed of at least 50 WPM.
Once your candidacy is approved, you will get assignments from Daily Transcription and start earning.
Average salary: $0.75 – $0.85 per audio minute.
9. Casting Words
Casting Words is another transcription company giving you transcription jobs.
To become a transcriptionist with Casting Words, simply sign up providing basic information and fill out a brief bio about yourself.
After reviewing your application, a Casting Words recruiter may require you to take an English language or typing skills test.
Average salary: $0.085 – $1 per audio minute.
10. 3Play Media
3Play Media is offering you transcription, caption and translation jobs to more than 5,000 regular customers. The orders come in various industries, including education, media & entertainment, government and enterprise companies.
In order to start getting projects from 3Play Media, first answer some qualifying questions. If the company is currently accepting staff from your location, you get to the application page. You’ll be required to include information about your skills and experience in the application.
Average salary: $10 – $30 per hour.
CrowdSurf is always recruiting transcriptionists using Upwork.
In order to become a member of CrowdSurf, simply follow the instructions below:
- First, sign up to Upwork.com. Your application will get reviewed within 24 hours.
- Once you’re approved by Upwork, search CrowdSurf in Upwork’s search bar.
- Next, apply to the CrowdSurf job ad on Upwork.
- Finally, pass the CrowdSurf Transcription Assessment demonstrating understanding of the General Guidelines.
Average salary: $2 – $8 per hour.
Athreon offers you two types of jobs: transcriptionist and scribe.
As a transcriptionist, your job is to listen to recorded audio files and transcribe them to the text document.
On the other hand, as a scribe, your job is to listen to recorded conversations between the doctor and the patient. You need to enter the medical details of the patient in the patient’s electronic health record.
In order to get a transcriptionist or scribe job at Athreon, you must be a high school graduate. Additionally, you must have medical education or work experience.
If you meet the requirements above, browse the relevant job at Athreon open job board and apply online.
Average salary: $15+ per day.
Athreon calculates your salary based on how many lines you have transcribed. You will earn $0.03/line and you must complete at least 500 lines per day, 5 days a week. However, this is the minimum amount requirement and the more you work, the more you’ll earn.
Ubiqus is always open to expand their team of transcription professionals.
In order to become a transcriptionist and get assignments from Ubiqus, you simply need to apply as a job seeker. You need to include detailed information about you and your experience in the online application.
Once the Ubiqus recruiter reviews your application and approves you as a transcriptionist, they will start sending you assignments.
Average salary: $0.00588/word for legal and $0.00695/word for medical content.
14. Verbal Ink
Verbal Ink is another company offering you transcriptionist jobs.
Applying to become a Verbal Ink member and start getting transcription tasks is simple. In order to be considered for the job, you have to email the company at email@example.com. Include information about you and attach your CV so the recruiter gets a better idea of your qualification.
Average salary: $11 – $12 per hour.
Are Online Transcription Jobs Worth it?
While many people see transcription as an easy job, it’s quite a challenging one.
Transcription job will definitely not get you rich, but you will be able to get the average annual salary of $45,000 and even $60,000 if you specialize in legal or medical transcriptions.
Transcription jobs also work great as a second job. You can work part-time, or even just a few hours per day to get some extra cash. In general you can make up to $14/hour transcribing, so if you work part time, it could make you $280/week.