Rover is a pet care platform that connects pet owners with pet sitters and boarders. As a pet sitter or boarder with Rover, you can get paid up to $1000 per month to walk the pets of owners who may not have the time to walk their pets themselves. Apart from pet walking, you can also get paid for providing other pet care services such as pet boarding for pets whose owners are out of town.
- 6 ways to earn – get paid for providing pet boarding, house sitting, dog walking, doggy day care, drop-in visits, and pet grooming services.
- Get up to $25,000 pet care coverage – Rover will reimburse you for property damage, or vet care costs for injuries suffered by you or your pets.
- Flexible price – you have the flexibility to decide how much you want to charge for your services. Thus, you can earn up to $20 for a 30 minute walk.
- 24/7 support – if you encounter any issues while walking a pet or pet sitting, Rover’s team ca provide immediate assistance, even including vet care.
- High service fee – Rover charges a 20% service fee for all transactions, and you won’t get to keep the full amount paid by owners for your services.
- 3 rounds of vetting – approval to become a dog walker or sitter can take a long time due to the background checks that are done on new applicants.
Jump to: Full Review
Compare to Other Gig Economy Jobs
Earn $25 per hour plus keep 100% of your tips (4000 cities in USA)
You can use any mode of transportation: your car, bicycle or motorcycle
You have the freedom to pick and choose which orders you want to accept
Experienced delivery drivers can earn up to $21 per hour ($13 on average)
Choose when you want to work based on your schedule in 1000 cities
Delivery snacks, drinks, grocery, quick meals, cleaning supplies and more
How Does Rover Work?
Rover for Pet Sitters
Rover allows you to;
- Register and choose your own schedule
- Browse through available pet sitting jobs
- Do the work and get paid
Rover for Pet Owners
Rover allows you to;
- Select specifics like date and location and browse through available sitters
- Pick the pet sitter that they think matches their needs, preferences, and budget
Scheduling, contracting, and payouts are managed through the platform, making relationships between you and your clients easier and safer.
How Much You Can Make With Rover?
Rover offers various pet care services with each of them paying differently.
Take care of pets overnight at your own place. Boarding could include feeding and washing the dog as well. The owner of the dog will usually guide you if they have any specific requirements.
You can charge on average $26 per night for this service.
Take care of pets overnight and keep an eye on the pet owner’s house. This service might include feeding and any other activity that the pet owner will guide you in advance.
The average price for house sitting is $26 per night.
Take bookings to walk a dog when needed. Dog walking includes exercising dogs by walking and stimulating socialization with people and other dogs.
You could charge $20 for a 30-minute walk or $30 for an hour.
You could provide dog walking service to several dogs at once, meaning your earnings have the potential to double, triple or even be multiplied on 5.
Doggy Day Care
Take care of a dog during the daytime at your own, dog-friendly place.
This service usually includes feeding the dog, walking, training, grooming and scooping its poop.
Doggy daycare service fee varies according to the owner requirements and on average is between $12-38 per day.
Who is Rover Best for?
Rover app is best for people who want to get paid for taking care of pets. It’s also meant for pet owners looking for people who can provide trusted pet care.
Rover Benefits: What Does Rover Offer?
Be Your Boss
With Rover, you can schedule several walks a day to maximize your income, or do a quick daily walk for the same pup every morning on your way to work. You’ll never have to take a client you don’t feel comfortable with.
You can keep your day job, work from home, and do all the other things you usually do. Each drop-in or walk could take just ten to thirty minutes, depending on the client.
Set Your Rates
There’s no exact formula to set the best rates, but you should plan a target rate based on how much you’d like to be making per hour.
See Requests Instantly
Get more bookings by responding to new requests from pet parents right when they send them.
- Respond to every request you receive, even if you’re unable to accept the request. Being responsive will also ensure that you maintain a high response rate.
- Book as many requests as you can accept. This way, you’ll maintain a high booking rate.
- Encourage clients to leave positive reviews as this will demonstrate your trustworthiness to new clients.
- Regularly update your calendar and show when you are available.
- Create an inviting and thorough profile that details your preferences.
- Provide 5-star care, whenever you are booking with a client
- Be at least 18 years old
- Complete your Rover profile
- Pass the background check
- Be available during the week
- Have the latest version of the Rover app (available on iPhone or Android smartphones)
Rover Costs to Consider
While signing up for Rover is free, you may be charged a small fee to cover a background check depending on the service you choose to offer.
Rover Service Fees Include
|Profile Approval Date||Service Fee Per Booking|
|Before March 1, 2016||15%|
|On/After March 1, 2016||20%|
|Sitters with RoverGO||25%|
Rover Payout Terms and Options?
If you sign up for direct payments, they will be automatically deposited into your account.
- Payments redeemed via PayPal are released within 1-4 days, with no fees.
- Checks take up to 5 business days to process, up to 20 days to arrive, and incur a $5 fee.
Rover Reviews: is Rover Legit?
Rover is a legit business that connects dog sitters with clients who are looking for pet sitting services. It has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and 4.6 on TrustPilot. These scores mean that most users are pleased with the platform.
For instance, some users described it as an easy-to-use platform that provides them with a chance to make money. Others liked the fact that it gave space to do what they loved- pet sitting. However, like every app, Rover is not perfect. Some sitters complained that Rover did not respond to their queries.
Overall, I think Rover is much safer than using general online boards like Craigslist.
What Are the Rover Pros & Cons?
- You have the freedom to work whenever you want.
- Rover doesn’t have any fixed pricing system.
- You are free to provide any service or combination of services that work for you.
- 24/7 support, including vet assistance.
- High service fee. Rover deducts a 20% service fee from your earnings
- Some users think the pet sitters are not reliable
If your client included a tip after you already received payment for the booking, then the money will be added to your account within 24 hours from when your client left a tip.
How Good is Rover Support and Knowledge Base?
Rover provides customer support through email, chat support and call center. It also has a rich knowledge base and forum that answers most of your queries. Its support and knowledge base is therefore adequate.
Rover Review Verdict: is Rover Worth It?
Taking care of dogs as a business is a unique opportunity to make some extra money. Depending on your own motivation and experience, there’s nothing holding you back to turn it into a full-time income.
All it takes to get up and running in this career is to pass a basic background check and love dogs.
Taking into consideration that Rover allows you to work as an independent contractor and earn up to $30 per hour, it’s totally worth it. The freedom of working by your own schedule and flexibility to set your own pricing lets you earn whatever amount works best for you.
How to Start Earning With Rover?
Step 1 – Sign up for Rover
Step 2 – Build your profile
Write a short bio describing yourself and the services you provide. Also, add a profile picture for more credibility.
Step 3 – Take a background check
Once you submit the completed profile, the Sitter Team will review it. Upon approval, you will receive a background check that will be processed by Checkr.
Checkr will review:
- If your legal name, social security number and address match;
- If you have a sex offender registry.
- That you aren’t on any terrorist watchlist.
- That you aren’t listed in the National Criminal Database* for any disqualifying criminal offenses.
Sites Like Rover
|Pay per hour||$30||$20||$12 to $13||13|
|Schedule||Every 2 days||Weekly||Thursdays||Wednesdays|
|Best for||Pet sitting and pet walking||Food delivery||Food delivery||Delivery services|
Rover vs. Doordash
DoorDash also allows you to earn up to $20 per hour compared to Rover, which pays $30. Otherwise, apart from the fact that theory offers high p[aying gigs, they don’t have much to share in common.
Rover vs. Grubhub
GrubHub is an on-demand service. Grubhub partners with restaurants in your area to offer delivery for ones that don’t normally deliver. While both platforms are free to sign up for, GrubHub is better for food delivery drivers compared to Rover, which caters to pet sitters.
GrubHub also allows you to earn $12 to $13 compared to Rover, which offers $30 per hour. That said, the two apps can be considered some of the best gig workers’ jobs.
Rover vs. GoPuff
GoPuff also allows you to earn $13 per hour compared to Rover, which pays $30. GoPuff also pays drivers every Wednesday compared to Rover, which pays after every 48 hours. Otherwise, both apps don’t share a lot in common.
Rover vs Wag
Wag is one of the biggest alternatives for Rover. However, Rover wins over Wag with its lower service fee. Rover takes 20% of your earnings, while Wag takes 40%. Wag also has its own pricing, meaning you don’t have much freedom offering your own terms.
Rover vs. PetBacker
PetBacker is another well-known pet care service. PetBacker deducts a service fee of 15-25% from your earnings. However, compared to PetBacker, Rover has significantly greater brand recognition.
Rover vs. PetSitter.com
Just like Rover, PetSitter connects pet sitters to pet owners who need help. In the Rover vs. PetSitter.com debate Rover is an obvious winner when it comes to the reliability and security of the platform.
Other Sites Like Rover
Alternative Gig Economy Jobs
What is Rover?
Founded in 2011, Rover is an app that connects dog and cat parents with loving pet sitters and dog walkers in neighborhoods across the US, Canada, the UK, and Europe. In other words, the company allows you to get paid for playing with dogs.
Rover’s mission is to make life better for dogs and the people who love them. The company strives to make it easier for pet owners to get trusted care for their beloved dogs and for pet sitters to connect with more dog parents online.
Although Rover is mainly focused on providing dog sitting services, it also offers services to owners of cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and other animals. Available in over 10 countries, Rover has since served 2+ million pet parents.
How much does Rover pay per walk?
At Rover, each dog sitter sets its own pricing for the different services they offer. The amount per dog walk varies from sitter to sitter. Dog sitters at Rover are independent contractors, therefore Rover doesn’t have a fixed pricing system for any service. On average you could earn $20 for a 30-minute walk or $30 for an hour walk.
What percentage does Rover take from sitters?
Rover takes 20% of the pet sitter’s earnings.
How soon do you get paid on Rover?
Payments for Rover bookings are available for cash out 2 days after you successfully complete the service.
Does Rover do background checks?
Rover provides a basic background check to confirm your social security number and address
How long will it take to review my profile?
After you’ve Completed your sitter profile, Rovers sitter team will manually review it within five business days.