DollarBreak is reader-supported with the goal to become the ultimate practical resource for making money online. When you sign up or buy through links on this post, we may receive compensation. Disclosure.
- Set your own schedule
- Set your own prices
- Earn $20 for a 30-minute walk
- 24/7 support, Including vet assistance
- High service fee (20%)
- Lengthy application process
Best Gig Economy Jobs
$1 sign up bonus
$0.50-$3 on average per survey + Branded Elite Program – extra points for active members
Average survey length is 15 min and minimum payout is $10
Earn $15 to $25 per hour
DoorDash allows you to keep 100% of your customer tips
You have the freedom to pick and choose which orders you want to accept.
What is Rover?
Rover is the largest network of pet sitters and dog walkers nationwide. Rover connects you to a large network of pet parents, who need pet lovers to take care of their dogs. In other words, the company allows you to get paid for playing with dogs.
Rover’s mission is to make life better for dogs and people who love them. The company strives to make it easier for pet owners to get trusted care for their beloved dogs and for pet sitters to connect with more dog parents online.
Although Rover is mainly focused on providing dog sitting services, it also offers services to owners of cats, hamsters, guinea pigs and other animals.
How Does Rover Work?
Pet owners are busy people. They don’t have time to look after their dogs while they work during the day. Sometimes pet owners cannot take their beloved dogs on a holiday or on a business trip. They need someone reliable, pet-friendly people to take care of their pets. One of the most popular platforms to seek dog sitters is Rover.
Rover is an online platform connecting pet owners to pet sitters.
To get started with Rover, you need to create your profile and set your own services, pricing and availability.
On the other hand, pet owners select specifics like date and location and browse through available sitters nearby. They then pick the pet sitter that they think matches their needs, preferences and budget.
Scheduling, contracting and payouts are managed through the platform, making relationships between you and your clients easier and safer.
How to Become a Dog Walker on Rover?
Step 1 – Sign up for Rover
Step 2 – Build your profile
Write a short bio describing yourself and the services you provide. Also, add a profile picture for more credibility.
Step 3 – Take a background check
Once you submit the completed profile, the Sitter Team will review it. Upon approval, you will receive a background check that will be processed by Checkr.
Checkr will review:
- If your legal name, social security number and address match;
- If you have a sex offender registry.
- That you aren’t on any terrorist watchlist.
- That you aren’t listed in the National Criminal Database* for any disqualifying criminal offenses.
What Are The Requirements to Become Pet Sitter with Rover?
- Be at least 18 years old
- Complete your Rover profile
- Pass the background check
- Be available during the week
- Have the latest version of the Rover app (available on iPhone or Android smartphones)
How To Earn Money With Rover?
Take care of pets overnight at your own place. Boarding could include feeding and washing the dog as well. The owner of the dog will usually guide you if they have any specific requirements.
You can charge on average $26 per night for this service.
Take care of pets overnight and keep an eye on the pet owner’s house. This service might include feeding and any other activity, that the pet owner will guide you in advance.
The average price for house sitting is $26 per night.
Take bookings to walk a dog when needed. Dog walking includes exercising dogs by walking and stimulating socialization with people and other dogs.
You could charge $20 for a 30-minute walk or $30 for an hour.
You could provide dog walking service to several dogs at once, meaning your earnings have the potential to double, triple or even be multiplied on 5.
Doggy Day Care
Take care of a dog during daytime at your own, dog-friendly place.
This service usually includes feeding the dog, walking, training, grooming and scooping its poop.
Doggy day care service fee varies according to the owner requirements and on average is between $12-38 per day.
What are the Rover Pros & Cons?
- Set your own schedule. As an independent contractor, you have the freedom to work whenever you want.
- Set your own prices. Rover doesn’t have any fixed pricing system. At Rover you are a service provider and you set your own pricing based on the services you offer.
- Offer any combination of pet services. You are free to provide any service or combination of services that work for you.
- Set your own preferences. You have the freedom to serve only the size, age or breed that works for you the best.
- Functional app. Rover mobile app provides useful tools to manage your pet sitting business easily. The built-in calendar allows you to mark your availability and receive requests within the app.
- 24/7 support, including vet assistance. Don’t worry if suddenly you encounter any kind of issue, whether it’s technical or pet related. Rover staff, including a vet, is there for you to help you eliminate any matter anytime.
- High service fee. Rover deducts a 20% service fee from your earnings, which might be slightly high for some people.
Is Rover Worth Doing?
Taking care of dogs as a business is a unique opportunity to make some extra money. Depending on your own motivation and experience, there’s nothing holding you back to turn it into a full-time income.
All it takes to get up and running in this career is to pass a basic background check and love dogs.
Taking into consideration that Rover allows you to work as an independent contractor, it’s totally worth it. The freedom of working by your own schedule and flexibility to set your own pricing lets you earn whatever amount works best for you.
Rover vs Wag
Wag is one of the biggest alternatives for Rover. However, Rover wins over Wag with its lower service fee. Rover takes 20% of your earnings, while Wag takes 40%. Wag also has its own pricing, meaning you don’t have much freedom offering your own terms.
Rover vs PetBacker
PetBacker is another well-known pet care service. PetBacker deducts a service fee of 15-25% from your earnings. However, compared to PetBacker, Rover has significantly greater brand recognition.
Rover vs PetSitter.com
Just like Rover, PetSitter connects pet sitters to pet owners who need help. In the Rover vs. PetSitter.com debate Rover is an obvious winner when it comes to reliability and security of the platform.
How Much Does Rover Pay Per Walk?
At Rover, each dog sitter sets its own pricing for the different services they offer. The amount per dog walk varies from sitter to sitter. Dog sitters at Rover are independent contractors, therefore Rover doesn’t have a fixed pricing system for any service. On average you could earn $20 for a 30-minute walk or $30 for an hour walk.
What Percentage Does Rover Take from Sitters?
Rover takes 20% of the pet sitter’s earnings.
How Soon Do You Get Paid on Rover?
Payments for Rover bookings are available for cash out 2 days after you successfully complete the service.