DollarBreak is reader-supported with the goal to become the ultimate practical resource for making money online. When you sign up or buy through links on this post, we may receive compensation. Disclosure.
Best Job Search Websites
FlexJobs has a rich database of jobs available for every field
It’s particularly easy to sort and find jobs that are most suited for you
FlexJobs guarantees that all its jobs are 100% scam-free
Real salary data from the 7.5 million jobs posted every day
There are no sign-up or other fees associated
Get access to millions of job postings, including remote opportunities
16 Best Online Data Entry Jobs from Home
1. Amazon’s Mechanical Turk
One of the most obvious online data entry jobs is Amazon’s Mechanical Turk. This is a microtask platform, where you can complete small tasks including data entry.
Most tasks on this platform pay less than $1. But, you can typically complete them within a few minutes.
Amazon Mechanical Turk does require workers to qualify for specific types of tasks. So, you may need to perform a typing test or other evaluation before you can get work.
2. Axion Data Entry Services
Axion Data entry Services requires independent contractors for remote data entry jobs. To apply for a position, you need to register with the company and provide information about your work history.
Typically, Axion requires workers to have two to three years of data entry experience. You also need to have a typing speed of 50 words a minute or more.
As a contractor, you’ll receive payment per project. However, you can expect to earn an average of $11 to $12 per hour.
3. Capital Typing
Capital Typing is an outsourcing company that provides virtual office services. This includes online data entry jobs, transcription, market research, online customer support and secretarial services.
The data entry jobs from home require working as an independent contractor. It is not the highest paying company. You can expect to earn up to $6 per hour.
While this may be a little low, this company does have a solid reputation within the industry. It also offers consistent work where you can build your confidence and skill set.
To apply, you need to wait for a data entry job opening. You will need to submit your resume including Skype details via email. You may be required to take a skills test to qualify.
- FlexJobs has a rich database of jobs available for every field
- It’s particularly easy to sort and find jobs that are most suited for you
- FlexJobs guarantees that all its jobs are 100% scam-free
- You get access to its special features for free or at discounted rates (email updates, resume profiles, skills tests, etc)
FlexJobs is a reputable site for finding flexible, remote freelance jobs including online data entry jobs. Each job listing is checked by a real person, so you don’t need to file through low paying jobs or scams to find work.
You can expect to earn up to $10 per hour. However, you’ll need to subscribe to a plan to access the listings. The basic monthly plan is $14.95, but you can get discounts for longer term plans.
Clickworker is a crowdsource marketplace connecting workers with tasks. There are online data entry jobs, research, translating and writing projects.
The jobs are generally micro jobs, such as completing captchas or captioning pictures. You can expect up to $1 per task, but they will only take a few minutes.
To sign up with Clickworker, you need to complete a skills test.
As the name suggests, Microworkers provides access to short or micro tasks. Many of these are basic online data entry jobs that don’t need any special skills or training.
Like Clickworker, most of these tasks pay less than $1 and only take a minute or two to complete.
- You’re selling a service at the price you set and not your time
- Remain anonymous – Fiverr allows you to remain anonymous and don’t reveal any personal or contact information of yours
- Upsell opportunities. You can increase your Fiverr earnings by offering your clients upsells. E.g. you can offer less delivery time for additional payment
- Seller protection. Fiverr ensures your and your funds’ security on the platform and helps you resolve the case with fraudulent clients
Fiverr is a marketplace where you can sell practically any type of service including data entry. You can create a listing advertising your services and showcase your skills.
As its name suggests, the basic gig price on Fiverr is $5. The platform also charges 20% commission. Where it gets interesting is that you can offer upsells. This means that you can offer a basic data entry project for $5, but additional services for $10, $15 etc.
You can work flexible hours to suit your schedule. Fiverr is a good place to practice your skills and learn client negotiation.
8. DataPlus +
DataPlus+ offers document scanning and data entry jobs from home. This company specializes in entering hard copies of data into electronic databases.
As many of the DataPlus+ clients are legal agencies and law enforcement, independent contractors need to pass a background check before they can be hired.
SigTrack requires remote freelancers to check petition signatures against the names on the voter registration rolls. You’ll get paid according to your productivity.
You can expect to earn approximately $0.037 per signature and up to $0.15 for handling voter registrations.
There are some requirements to work for SigTrack. Since you’ll be accessing voter registration data, you need to be a U.S resident. SigTrack also needs to perform a brief video interview to allow them to verify your identity before you can begin work.
To work, you will need dual monitors to enable you to view the voter registrations and signatures simultaneously.
10. DionData Solutions
DionData Solutions is another company that hires independent contractors for online data entry jobs.
You need to have a minimum typing speed of 60 words per minute, access to a computer and basic computer skills. DionData will provide training when you’re hired.
The company pays on a per document or per project basis, so there is no published hourly rate. But, it is reasonable to expect to earn up to $15 per hour.
Scribie requires freelancers to work from home transcribing video and audio files. These files are typically less than six minutes long.
The work is assigned on a first come basis on the main website. You can expect to earn $10 per hour of audio or video files.
All your work will receive a grade out of five. You need to maintain a grade of 2.75 or higher to continue working through the platform.
12. Working Solutions
Working Solutions is a little different from many of the companies on this list, as the online data entry jobs are available to contractors in the USA and around the world.
You can sign up directly on the Working Solutions website. You’ll need to complete an online form, take assessment tests and pass a background check.
You will receive payment per project and Working Solutions processes payments every two weeks.
Xerox is well known for its photocopy and print products. What you may not know is this company also offers work from home opportunities including remote data entry jobs. This includes part time and full time positions with the earning potential of up to $30,000 per year.
The company does not always have open vacancies. It is a good idea to upload your resume to the Xerox applicant database. You’ll receive an email notification when a position becomes available, so you can formally apply.
Upwork is one of the largest freelance marketplace platforms around. To find work as a data entry clerk, you will need to set up a freelancer profile.
This platform has a search facility, where you can look for job to bid on that match your skills, payment requirements and schedule.
For example, you could search for:
- Admin Support
- Data Entry
- Beginner Level
You can also specify whether you would prefer to work on hourly projects or fixed price jobs. If you use the advanced search feature, you can even look for specific keywords. So, if you prefer to work within a certain niche, such as marketing, you can search for this.
The typical rates of pay for online data entry jobs on Upwork are up to $13 per hour. However, you can bid your preferred rate for any posting. You’ll just need to write a compelling bid letter to justify any higher rates.
15. The Smart Crowd
The Smart Crowd is another microtask site. There are lots of data entry opportunities that allow you to work when you want.
The pay rates vary for each project and will correspond according to the project requirements and productivity. You can expect to earn up to $10 per hour or more.
To get started, you need to register on the site. The Smart Crowd team will evaluate your application and match you with projects that fit your skills. Payments are processed and issued once a month via Dwolla.
Appen is best known for search engine evaluator jobs, but there are also other microtasks on the platform. These often involve data entry.
The jobs are typically project based and short term. They also tend to be at the lower end of the pay scale. So, you can expect to earn up to $5 or $6 per hour. This is not the best rate but it may be a good one if you need an additional platform to make up your workload.
What Do Data Entry Clerks Do?
Many of us consider taking on a side gig to boost our incomes. Whether you’re looking for a side hustle or a new career, many worry that there will be barriers to entry. Fortunately, there is a solution. Online data entry jobs tend not to need formal qualifications. You can work from home with flexible hours to suit your schedule.
According to the U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics, over 150,000 people work in this industry. There is evidence that this is a growing sector that will require more workers. Here we’ll explore the field of data entry and where you can find work to help you determine if it is the best option for you.
Data entry clerks take hard copy information such as survey responses, addresses or sales receipts and input these details into a computer program. The responsibilities may also include transcribing audio files, coding insurance forms or scanning documents.
You may be working with law firms, sales organizations, medical practices and other professionals.
What is the Average Salary for a Data Entry Jobs?
Data entry jobs pay an average of $15 per hour. Unfortunately, not all the jobs pay this well. The amount of money you can earn will depend on your work speed.
Many data entry jobs work on a freelance or contractor basis. So, you’re likely to receive payment per job rather than an hourly rate.
Pros and Cons of Being a Data Entry Clerk
- No Experience Necessary: Data entry jobs typically don’t require any previous experience or qualifications.
- Flexible Hours: Data entry provides flexible working hours, so you can fit the projects around your schedule and other commitments.
- No Investment Required: You don’t need to invest in specialist software or expensive equipment. Most companies require basic software programs that you’re likely to already have on your home computer.
- You Need to be Very Accurate: Data entry companies demand accuracy of 99%. This means that it only allows one or two errors.
- Can be Tedious: You’ll be spending your days typing documents from image files. This can be a little tedious.
- Scams: There are some scammy companies and programs that advertise online data entry jobs, but ask job seekers to pay a registration fee.
Skills Needed to Be a Data Entry Clerk
While you don’t typically need specialist equipment to start working as a data entry clerk, there are some skills you’ll need.
- Typing Skills: You will need to be able to type quickly and accurately. Most jobs will be done on a project rather than hourly basis, so you need to work efficiently while maintaining a high degree of accuracy.
- Organization Skills: The key aim of data entry is to organize multiple files into a format that the company can easily use. You will need to be organized and pay close attention to detail.
- Good Communication Skills: As with any job, particularly work at home opportunities, you need to clearly and effectively communicate.
- Tolerance for Repetition: Data entry can be extremely repetitive. You’ll need to do the same tasks over and over with just some minor variations. So, if you can’t tolerate repetition, this is not the role for you. You also need to be prepared for sitting for long periods at your computer.
Are Online Data Entry Jobs Safe?
Unfortunately, there are a lot of scams around that advertise remote data entry jobs, but require applicants to sign up and pay a registration fee or other charge.
However, you can stay safe by:
- Avoid Things Too Good to Be True: If a platform is advertising exceptionally high rates, it is likely to be a scam.
- Don’t Pay Anything Upfront: If you need to pay a fee or admin charge before you can start a job, avoid it.
- Be Wary of Training Periods: While many legit companies require some basic training. Avoid companies that require you to work for free during an extended training period.
If you stick to these guidelines, there is no reason why you can’t enjoy great opportunities in data entry.