DollarBreak is reader-supported, when you sign up through links on this post, we may receive compensation. Disclosure.
The content is for informational purposes only. Conduct your own research and seek advice of a licensed financial advisor. Terms.
Best Sites to Find Motion Graphics Jobs
Create a JobGet profile in less than 60 seconds. No resumes or cover letters
Search for jobs close to home and apply with 1-click in the mobile app
Start chatting with employers. No more waiting for emails, hear back instantly
Remote, work from home, and flexible jobs in 50+ career categories
Unlimited access to 25k+ jobs from $0.96 per week (3 jobs free trial)
FlexJobs guarantees that all its jobs are 100% scam-free (verified ads)
10 Platforms to Find Motion Design Jobs
Indeed is one of the leading job search websites. It aggregates open positions from company career pages and job listings. There are typically three million active job listings at any one time.
The platform makes it easy to create your online resume. You can search for motion design jobs via the mobile app. Potential employers can get in contact with you directly or you can respond to ads.
Motiongrapher has been around since 2006. It has reached more than 80 million people around the world. The platform has a vast network with an impressive social media following. This makes Motiongrapher the “number one trusted community” for designers, producers and storytellers.
The company takes pride in the fact that it is driven by passion rather than profit. It attracts people who are passionate and live for creating superb work.
Glassdoor is one of the best websites for job seekers. It has a list of over one million employers. What makes Glassdoor stand out is that there are employer reviews from genuine current and former employees. This may not be completely accurate due to bias. But, Glassdoor doesn’t remove any reviews, so you can get a warts and all overview of potential employers.
You can find plenty of motion design jobs in the job search section. There is also an app, so you can search on the go. This makes this platform an excellent resource.
LinkedIn is a superb resource for building your business profile and networking. Potential employers and recruiters can view your profile. There is also a career pages section. This allows you to search the active job listings.
Creating a LinkedIn profile is easy.
- Fill out your profile information. This includes contact information and links to your social media
- Upload a pro photo: Potential employers don’t want to see holiday snaps or selfies. You will need to upload a photo that showcases your professionalism.
- Describe your skills and knowledge. There are sections where you can detail your skills, knowledge, work experience and qualifications.
It is possible to establish your career using LinkedIn. However, you will need to put in some effort to maximize the opportunities.
You may already be familiar with ZipRecruiter. This company regularly advertises on radio, television and via direct mailings. It continually contacts companies needing to find new talent. In fact, in recent years, this tenacity has made ZipRecruiter one of the largest job search sites in the USA.
ZipRecruiter typically has over five million active job listings. You can use the excellent search engine to narrow down the results and save time. The platform will even alert you if a potential employer is looking at your resume.
School of Motion
School of Motion is on a mission to reimagine art school. This innovative company offers a variety of courses and has a blog packed with resources for designers. You can also use the platform to build a network of connections and connect with industry professionals.
The platform also features a job board. This can be a great place to find motion design jobs. There are positions ranging from freelance gigs to full time jobs.
You can join School of Motion with just a valid email address. There are no fees unless you choose to enroll in one of its courses.
Simplyhired collects listings from a variety of sources. This includes:
- Niche job sites
- Company career pages
- Job boards
- General web listings
In fact, the platform has job listings from approximately 700,000 employers across 24 countries with 12 languages.
Simplyhired also offers a number of resources for job seekers. There are guides with information on how to write a cover letter, create a resume and secure interviews.
Upwork, formerly Odesk and Elance, is a popular platform to find freelance jobs. There are all types of jobs in a variety of fields. However, rather than submitting a resume, you need to bid on projects that appeal to you.
This involves sending a cover letter, sharing work samples and quoting a price for the work.
Upwork is free to join. You’ll need to create your profile detailing your work experience, skills, education and contact information.
You also need to consider that Upwork does apply a commission for all completed projects. This is tiered to encourage continuing to work with each client.
- Less than $500: a 20% commission applies
- $500 to $10,000: this drops to 10% commission
- Over $10,000: this is the lowest commission at 5%.
The platform has approximately 14 million users and has generated over $1 billion freelancer billings per year.
Angel is actually an investment platform connecting investors with people in need of seed money. This helps to get projects off the ground. What makes Angel interesting is that there is also a job board. There are thousands of listings in a variety of roles, including motion design.
Most of the jobs are with start ups in the tech segment, but there are other positions available. Many start ups need help in various areas including marketing.
The site allows you to:
- Search for jobs with just one application
- Connect with company managers directly
- See the salary on offer upfront.
Jooble is a Ukrainian job search platform that offers opportunities for jobs around the world. The platform is completely free of charge and has been around since 2006. The Jooble team searches through thousands of job pages and sites to provide up to date job adverts.
The website has over 70 million visitors each month. It is available in over 70 countries with 24 languages.
What’s Involved in Motion Design Jobs?
Motion design is used to create visual effects and animations for films, television and other media. Even something as seemingly simple as a little website animation requires the skills of a motion designer.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are 67,500 people working in motion graphics jobs. This is an interesting area of graphic design with slightly above average predicted growth rates for the coming years.
So, now if you’re still wondering, what is motion design, I will dig a little deeper into what is involved in motion design jobs. As the name suggests motion designers design graphics in motion. By animating items and creating visual effects, these specialists take media to a new level.
There are also opportunities outside the traditional applications. For example, in the future you may be working on interactive technology such as virtual reality or augmented reality.
The types of motion design jobs can be divided into three main categories:
- Promotional: These motion graphics advertise different services or products
- Explanation: As the name suggests, these explain products, processes or define a hard to grasp concept. Doing this with animation can help people to more easily understand difficult ideas.
- Emotive: These types of motion graphics have the intention of moving the viewer in any way. This could be making them laugh or pulling at the heartstrings. An emotive video or animation will seek to elicit a response.
What Skills Do You Need for Motion Design Jobs?
There are a number of skills that are necessary for how to create motion graphics. These include:
- Animation Perspective: You will need to understand how the movement of objects, light and the camera can impact the animation. A good designer will choreograph the complex movements one aspect at a time and spin them in multiple ways.
- 3D Modeling: Motion graphics are firmly based in 3D modeling. So, you will need to understand points in 3D space.
- Organization: As with most freelance and tech jobs, you will need to have good organization skills. You will need to keep all your files neat or it will create problems later.
- Lighting and Texturing Effects: The audience sees shapes and images rather than the model. So, lighting and texturing effects are crucial to make the graphics photo realistic.
- Understanding of the Big Picture: Motion design jobs are usually a piece of the whole project. This means that you need to understand the applications and how it will integrate into the big picture.
How Much Can You Earn as a Motion Designer?
Since motion design is a growing field, there is a decent income potential. The average annual wage in this niche ie $72,000.
How Do I Become a Freelance Motion Designer?
There are three basic steps to become a freelance motion designer.
Step One: Build your motion design skill set.
You will need to be familiar with the software and skills necessary for jobs. Fortunately, there are online courses to help you develop your skill set, such as Udemy.
Step Two: Work on Entry Level Projects.
While they may not be the best paying gigs, entry level projects will allow you to develop your portfolio and gain some client revisions.
Step Three: Create Your Online Portfolio.
If you want to attract clients, you will need to be able to demonstrate your skills. So, it is important to create your online portfolio. You can then link to your portfolio when you apply for jobs.
Is Motion Graphics a Good Career?
If you enjoy graphic design, motion design jobs can offer great career potential. The industry is predicted to have approximately 4% growth in the coming decade. So, if you have graphic design skills, it is certainly a niche that is worth investigating.