DollarBreak goal is to empower readers to make better financial decisions. This post may contain affiliate links from our partners who share the same vision. Disclosure.
- Flexible terms. You can purchase hosting plans on a 1, 3, 6, 12, 24 or 36 months basis
- Up to 60% discounts for purchasing hosting plans for more than 12 months in advance
- Unmetered bandwidth – you’re not limited to traffic that your site may get
- All plans come with unlimited storage
- Poor backups – you have access to only 1 backup unless you pay for an add-on to get more
- Tricky prices – the prices on the website are advertised for 36-month plans, that’s relatively lower than if you want to purchase the plans on a monthly basis. The prices get higher when you renew your plans as well
Best Sites to Start Online Business
Flexible terms. You can purchase hosting plans on a 1, 3, 6, 12, 24 or 36 months basis
Up to 60% discounts for purchasing hosting plans for more than 12 months in advance
Unmetered bandwidth – no limit to traffic that your site may get
One-stop-shop platform helping you create, market and sell your online courses
Website customization – choose your website template that matches your course look
You can offer different payment options (Stripe and PayPal)
Are you considering trying HostGator as your hosting provider, but feeling confused whether it’s worth it or not?
I know the confusion and frustration it causes seeing so many terms you don’t necessarily understand.
Many people might recommend a hosting provider that isn’t really favorable for experienced web developers.
But it’s only because web developers need access to more advanced features that you don’t really need.
Read on this Hostgator review to get all the information you need to decide if HostGator can be the right choice for your web project.
What is HostGator?
HostGator is one of the leading providers of secure and easy-to-use website hosting services.
They also provide you a marketplace of domain names, which are free for the first year, when you purchase any of their hosting plans.
How Does HostGator Work?
HostGator offers various solutions for your hosting needs. From shared to dedicated hosting and one-click website creation, HostGator provides customized plans.
When to Use HostGator?
HostGator is typically the best option for when you’re looking for an easy-to-use hosting provider that doesn’t measure the bandwidth and offers unlimited storage.
It’s completely suitable for blogs, informational websites or any other website that doesn’t get hundreds of thousands of visitors per month.
When Not to Use HostGator?
You shouldn’t use Hostgator for large projects and websites with large numbers of monthly visitors.
Is HostGator Safe & Legit?
HostGator is a legitimate company that’s been operating on the hosting market since 2002 and is in no way a scam company.
Moreover, HostGator has been awarded a rating of A+ on the Better Business Bureau, which means the company is completely safe to deal with.
HostGator Features: What Products Do HostGator Offer?
HostGator offers a great range of products and features. So no matter what your project needs are, you’ll most probably find a solution that’s right for you.
And the best thing about HostGator is that not only its services are easy to use, but they are also affordable.
Let’s take a look at what products and services HostGator offers.
You can purchase and register domain names at HostGator. And the prices for domains start at $0.95/year. For the first year, a .com domain costs $12.95 that renews at $17.99 per year.
HostGator’s shared hosting plans are meant for small and medium projects and is a good choice when you’re just starting.
Shared hosting isn’t meant for large websites that get hundreds of thousands of visitors per month.
Imagine shared hosting as hosting different clients (websites) under the same server. This principle is quite similar to living in a shared house.
Prices for HostGator’s shared hosting plans vary from $8.95 to $16.95 per month. And they offer discounts of up to 65% if you purchase a plan for more than 12 months.
Plus, when you purchase any shared hosting plans, you’ll get a free domain for your first year as well.
Whether you’re building a blog, a forum, wiki, using a CMS or an eCommerce store, creating a website with HostGator Application Hosting is convenient. Their hosting services run on Apache, Linux, PHP and MySQL, allowing them to support thousands of existing applications and softwares.
HostGator Application Hosting offers:
- WordPress Hosting – whether you’re building a new blog or want to move your existing one, HostGator offers an auto WordPress installer and compatible WordPress application hosting platform.
- Joomla Hosting – fully supports Joomla and provides a powerful and customizable CMS. By providing a wide variety of plugins, you have access to increased data functionality. As a result, your website remains scalable and dynamic for years.
- Drupal Hosting – allows you to develop your website on the Drupal CMS, allowing you a high level of customization and control over the design of your site. Having access to numerous themes and plugins, you have nearly limitless options.
- Magento Hosting – allows you to start selling online with your customized eCommerce store powered by Magento. This plan allows you to easily install Magento and get a free dedicated IP and private SSL to safely accept credit card transactions.
- Wiki Hosting – gives you an opportunity to create a Wikipedia-style website and allows people to contribute and update info on a website. HostGator supports popular wiki software, including MediaWiki, PmWiki, TikiWiki and others.
- phpBB Hosting – allows you to host your community with a free, open-source phpBB forum software that’s easy to configure and install.
To simplify the website development procedures for you, HostGator offers a 1-click installation with QuickInstall. Quickinstall provides an easy way to install and automatically update free software to your HostGator account.
HostGator currently offers over 75 scripts that you can install with just one click.
Even if you currently have your website hosted somewhere else, you can still sign up for HostGator and let them transfer your entire website for free.
HostGator Application Hosting prices start at $10.95 and hit $16.95 for the most advanced plan. However, they offer a discount of up to 60% off when you purchase an Application Hosting plan for more than 12 months in advance.
HostGator offers a convenient customer portal with an online dashboard where you can manage your account and control your web space fully.
In the ‘Control Panel’ section of your account, you can find links to common site management modules, such as:
- Email accounts
- File manager
If you’re still unsure how to do something, HostGator provides you with a search box that allows access to a great variety of explainer articles. You just have to begin typing to get matching articles to your query immediately.
In case you still have questions and need human help, HostGator’s customer support is available 27/7/365 via live chat and phone: 00 1 713-574-5287.
Is HostGator Reliable?
HostGator is a reliable hosting provider offering complimentary backups and excellent customer support. Things happen and you might need technical help from HostGator support, which is always there to help you.
HostGator offers a 45-day money-back guarantee, meaning if for any reason HostGator doesn’t fulfill your needs, they give you a full refund.
HostGator Pricing Plans
HostGator offers different pricing plans for different hosting needs.
You can also benefit from HostGator’s discounts for packages you purchase for 12, 24 or 36 months.
Let’s see how HostGator pricing plans look like for different services.
Web hosting is an ideal start point for most new websites and its prices range from $10.95 to $16.95 per month.
But if you purchase a web hosting plan for 36 months, you’ll be paying $4.95 to $9.95 per month.
Cloud hosting is for developers, who need to increase the speed and reliability of their websites.
The pricing plans for cloud hosting start at $12.95 and top at $19.95 per month. And if you’re paying for cloud hosting for 36 months, you’ll be leveraging a 44.57% discount, paying just $4.95 to $9.95 monthly.
WordPress hosting allows you to easily set up and manage your WordPress-based website.
You can purchase the WordPress hosting plan starting at $5.95/month for 1 website and to $9.95/month for 3 websites, when you pay for 36 months in advance.
VPS hosting is the most advanced plan HostGator offers and allows developers the full access to root and total customization.
This plan can be purchased at a price of $19.95/month to $39.95/month in case of choosing a 36-month plan.
Dedicated hosting is a fully customizable hosting, that a developer can use throughout the range of websites.
Prices for a dedicated hosting start at $89.98/month and go up to $139.99/month when you purchase a 36-month plan in advance.
HostGator Pros & Cons
- Flexible terms. You can purchase hosting plans on a 1, 3, 6, 12, 24 or 36 months basis.
- Up to 60% discounts for purchasing hosting plans for more than 12 months in advance.
- Unmetered bandwidth – you’re not limited to traffic that your site may get.
- All plans come with unlimited storage.
- Supports many programming languages (PHP, Python, Ruby On Rails and Perl).
- Slow customer support – while it’s available 24/7, you may need to wait for some time for them to answer you over the live chat.
- Poor backups – you have access to only 1 backup unless you pay for an add-on to get more.
- Tricky prices – the prices on the website are advertised for 36-month plans, that’s relatively lower than if you want to purchase the plans on a monthly basis. The prices get higher when you renew your plans as well.
HostGator vs Hostinger
Both HostGator and Hostinger focus on offering user-friendly shared, cloud and VPS hostings that don’t break the bank.
While Hostinger provides hosting services at a slightly cheaper rate than HostGator does, HostGator offers discounted rates for when you purchase any hosting plan for 12 months or more.
HostGator also offers a 45-day money back guarantee, while Hostinger only offers it for 30 days.
HostGator vs DigitalOcean
DigitalOcean is a great alternative to HostGator, that offers a greater variety of cloud servers. However, it’s more geared towards professional developers and is harder to use by non-developers or beginners. HostGator on the other hand, is focused on people with any level of skills and also provides 24/7 support in case you still need their help.
HostGator vs Bluehost
Bluehost is a go-to hosting provider for many web developers. While both HostGator and Bluehost offer free SSL certificates, malware tools and complimentary website backups, HostGator is more limited in what they offer. Moreover, Bluehost is slightly more secure than HostGator.
Is HostGator Worth It?
HostGator is easy to use and your website will be safe being hosted at servers they provide. The speed and uptime HostGator offers is also normal for most basic web projects.
Overall, I can say HostGator is worth trying. And they offer a 45-day money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied with what you’re getting from them. So you’re not losing anything.