DollarBreak is reader-supported with the goal to become the ultimate practical resource for making money online. When you sign up or buy through links on this post, we may receive compensation. Disclosure.
Handy Pro Review
Handy Pro is a platform that matches builders and skilled workmen with homeowners. The platform has been around for over 25 years and has been offering handyman and home modification services since it was started. If you are skilled in plumbing, electical work, painting, moving, renovation, or any other handy work, you can earn some extra income by offering your services on the platform.
- High earnings potential – earnings depend on the particular skill you have. If you have a skill that is in high demand can earn up to $62 per hour.
- Flexible schedule – you can select your working hours based on your availability. Work as little as 2 hours per day or up to 10 hours per day.
- Work at nearby locations – jobs that you get assigned will be within 100 miles of your home address so you won’t have to travel too far for a job.
- Quick payment processing time – you will receive payment for a gig within 7 days after it ends via direct deposit to your linked bank account.
- Penalties for cancelling gigs – if you cancel a gig, you will be charged a fee of between $10 (24 to 48 hours before the job) and $50 (no show).
- Work might be cancelled at the last minute – customers can choose to cancel the gig up to 24 hours before it starts without facing a penalty.
Best Job Search Websites
Create a JobGet profile in less than 60 seconds. No resumes or cover letters
Search for jobs close to home and apply with 1-click in the mobile app
Start chatting with employers. No more waiting for emails, hear back instantly
Remote, work from home, and flexible jobs in 50+ career categories
Unlimited access to 25k+ jobs from $0.96 per week (3 jobs free trial)
FlexJobs guarantees that all its jobs are 100% scam-free (verified ads)
What is Handy Pro?
Handy is an app. It began operating back in 2012 when the gig economy really started to grow quickly. The focus of Handy is to connect homeowners with handyman and cleaning service providers.
Recently, Handy was acquired for an undisclosed price but it currently has a valuation of $360 million dollars. In the last few years Handy has connected thousands of handymen and home cleaners with clients that need some extra help in dozens of cities.
Many people lead busy lives and some don’t like to spend their precious free time assembling furniture or cleaning their home. Handy is sometimes referred to as “the Uber of homecare services” which means that it’s the go to solution to these types of problems for many people.
Handy offers six key services on top of their regular cleaning and general handyman work, they are:
- Plumbing assistance.
- Electrical work.
- HVAC system repairs.
- House Painting.
- Home renovation tasks.
- Moving help.
Within these broader categories Handy offers a number of sub categories for various contracting tasks. As an example: There are Handy providers that specialize in pest control and even tree removals!
Is Handy Pro Legit?
Handy is pretty much the leading platform to connect people with others that can provide a number of household services. One of the best things about Handy from the perspective of the client is that the workers are pre-screened, independent professionals that carry out good work.
Every week, Handy matches thousands of customers and service providers in many locations all over the world. A booking takes only 1 minute, the payments are secure and the are backed with a “Handy Happiness Guarantee”.
So, Handy is easy to use, trusted and it has a 3.7/5 rating on Trustpilot. So, it’s fair to say that Handy is certainly a legit company with a proven track record in business.
Requirements for Handy
As a service provider on the Handy platform you do need to meet three key requirements.
- Have some kind of formal paid experience in handy work or home cleaning.
- Possess great customer service skills.
- Be authorized to work in the same country where you want to work with Handy.
In a nutshell that’s all there is to working with Handy because it’s not a traditional employer. Handy is a network that connects homeowners to independent contractors so you don’t have a lot of red tape getting in the way.
At the moment, Handy operates in dozens of American cities and a few cities in Canada and now the UK too. If you visit the Handy site you can quickly see if you have the opportunity to work with them in your city.
How Much Can You Earn with Handy?
On the Handy homepage the company states that providers can earn up to $22 per hour or job working as a cleaner or $45 per hour or per job working as a handyman. You can also earn up to $62 per hour doing lawn care work.
Obviously, the type of work that you undertake and your skillset will have a major impact on your potential earning power. If you work slowly this will also drag down your hourly rate so it’s important to find a good working balance. If you’re looking for a side hustle, Handy seems to pay far more than your typical part-time gig.
How to Sign Up For Handy?
You can’t just sign with Handy and tell them that you can do any job that comes along. To be considered a pro you must have some experience of getting paid for that type of work.
If you do have some of the useful skills that Handy needs, you can fill out a form and begin the signup process.
- Submitting your application to become a handyman or cleaner. You’ll need to add some details of your work experience.
- Handy will ask you questions about where you trained for the type of work you do and what kind of tools you have for work.
- Provide your date of birth and your social security number.
- Handy will carry out a background check which requires some personal information. Handy charges $20 for the background check but this is taken out of your first check so you don’t need the money upfront.
- Read the terms carefully so you understand your relationship with Handy.
Apply for Work
Once the team accepts your application, you can apply for Handy work. This is done through the accompanying app. Because you ticked boxes on the application to show what type of work you’re qualified for, these are the opportunities that you see.
It’s easy to check the app to ascertain if there is anything to suit your skillset. When you find an interesting job you can claim it and it will add to your schedule.
Jobs tend to be scheduled several days in advance on Handy and it pays to be organized. When the appointed day and time arrives, you travel to the location and make sure to be on time because Handy charges a late fee. Then you do the job to the clients satisfaction, mark the job as complete on the app and you’re finished.
How Long Does it Take to Get Paid from Handy?
Every week, Handy tallies up all the jobs that you complete from the last Monday through to Sunday. Any fees are deducted at this point and any tips you earned from clients are added. Once the total is calculated, Handy will issue a payment to your bank account.
Handy workers get weekly payments after they have completed their first full week. Payments typically reach your bank account on the following Monday and errors are rare.
Handy Pros & Cons
- High pay rates: The rate of pay is great for a gig job at $22 for cleaning, $45 for handyman jobs and as much as $62 for a lawn care professional. Some pros are earning more than $1,000 per week.
- Flexible: The work schedule is flexible because you set your own hours. However, you can build a network of regular clients.
- Transparent payments: The payment system is transparent and simple to use. All money you earn goes directly into your bank account.
- The application process is extensive: Some people won’t like the extensive application process.
- You need to pay for a background check: The background check costs $20.
- Late fees: If you arrive late to a job, Handy will add a $15 late fee to your account.
Handy vs Chore Relief
ChoreRelief is another platform that connects people to real jobs in their area. The jobs meet your skillset and then you simply respond to the best bid. After this, you can connect directly with the client and earn money completing a job for them.
It’s entirely free to sign up for ChoreRelief. The interface is simple and easy to use. The most important thing to remember is to set your locale and your working radius from that central point. The customers don’t get charged a fee to bid on your profile and ChoreRelief only makes their commission when the job is completed and you’ve been paid. The payment is made to your bank account via direct deposit. This entire process is carried out via the ChoreRelief app.
Handy vs Housecall Pro
Housecall Pro is a useful platform for people that want to take on house cleaning jobs and other chores to make money. This platform is simple to use. You can create, edit and manage your jobs with a few clicks.
It’s easy to keep your client informed with notifications, including an arrival window, and “on my way” text messages. Every invoice is customized and delivered to each client with one click and this makes your working life easy. The payment information is held on the software, so you can track your earnings at any time.
Handy vs Properly
Properly is a great platform for “Pros” (service providers) to search the Properly Marketplace for jobs that interest them. As a Pro, you are expected to deliver a professional level of service and this is incentivized to earn more money.
The entire process is backed up with the “Properly Marketplace Guarantee.” This gives customers confidence in the Pros that they choose to hire for work. Every job can be reviewed on its merits. It’s always to understand your potential earnings and the scope of the task.
This transparency saves each party a great deal of time and it ensures that the client and the Pro are both on the same page. Properly cleans the Pro automatically at the completion of the final task on their list of jobs. If you do a great job it’s very easy to build up a loyal and regular client base for a steady income.
Is Handy Good to Work for?
Once you get through the extensive application process Handy is certainly a good way to earn money. Many people are making more than they would expect to earn from a side gig on this platform.
Although there are alternatives they don’t have the reach or perhaps even the earning potential of Handy. If you have a set of skills that are in-demand and you can prove that you’ve worked in that capacity for pay you can earn a lot of money on Handy.
Given these advantages it seems that paying for the background check will be well worth the minor inconvenience.