DollarBreak is reader-supported, when you sign up through links on this post, we may receive compensation. Disclosure.
Foap is a online marketplace platform where users can upload and sell the videos and photos that they take for cash. Users can then get paid when a business or individual purchases a piece of content from their portfolio. If you enjoy taking photos as a hobby, Foap is a great way to get paid for it. To date, the platform has over 3 million creators and is used by top brands like Nivea and Volvo.
- High earning potential – Foap will pay you $5 for every photo that you sell, making it a great way to earn passive income if you enjoyu taking photos.
- Increase your earnings with Foap Missions – Missions are like contests where the winning picture will receive a prize of between $50 and $200.
- No need to be a professional photographer – photos do not need to be taken with a DSLR and the only requirement is that they are 1980 by 960 pixels.
- Low minimum withdrawal threshold – you can cash out your earnings from just $5 via PayPal, meaning that you can cash out after each photo you sell.
- High commission fee – the platform charges a high fee of 50%. Thus, you might be better off selling your photos on other platforms with lower fees.
- High competition – with over 3 million content creators, there is no guarantee that any of your photos will sell and you may not earn any money.
Jump to: Full Review
Compare to Other Side Hustles
$0.50 – $5 on average per survey with bonus points ($1 sign up bonus)
Average survey length is 10-20 minutes and minimum payout is $5
Collect rewards in PayPal, Direct Deposit or gift cards (100+ brands)
$1 – $3 per survey + extra ways to earn up to $100 with focus groups
Each survey time varies, but on average it takes 15 minutes to complete
Redeem rewards using PayPal, e-giftcards or bank transfer ($5 min)
What is Foap?
Your photos may be used by brands, agencies, bloggers or web builders.
The company goal is to provide easily accessible, beautiful photos and videos. Even if you are not interested in selling your content, you can use the platform to create your own portfolio. Other platform users can leave feedback for your photos, rating your shots.
How to Sign Up With Foap
The sign up process for Foap is quite straightforward. When you open the app, you’ll see a sign up, or sign in screen.
- You can use your Facebook profile or a valid email address. If you choose to use Facebook, you will need to approve the app receiving your public profile, email address and friends list.
- You will also need to confirm your email address
- Provide your country and date of birth
You will then see a home screen for your account.
From this hub, you can populate your profile. You will need to upload a cover photo, avatar and a short bio. When you click that you are done, you can scroll through the Foap pages to invite your Facebook friends to join or check out which of your Facebook contacts already have a Foap account.
You can also opt to follow popular members on the platform. This is a great feature that enables you to learn from more experienced photographers.
How Foap Works
When you log into the app, you’ll see sliding tabs on the bottom of the screen. This includes the Explore tab, where you can browse through the screens to check the type of photos and videos that are currently selling and what other users have uploaded. You can then use the home screen to upload your own content.
On the bottom center of the screen, you should see an “Upload Photos” button. This moves you to a screen where you can access your files and photos. You can even use this option to turn on your camera and snap some pictures.
When you’re ready to upload content:
- Select the appropriate shot
- Press the checkmark on the top right of your screen.
- You’ll see a warning that you can only upload photos that you own.
- After this point, you can add tags or a caption to your photo.
- The app features a ranking meter that illustrates your photo rankings. You can play around with the captions to increase your ranking.
- Click “Publish” and your photo will go live.
Once you upload photos, you can click on the “Manage Photos” tab to see all your content. Potential buyers can also browse through all the photos on the marketplace. If someone likes your photo, you’ll receive a notification that they want to purchase it.
Remember that you can check on all your uploaded shots through the “Manage Photos” tab.
How Much Can You Earn?
There are two basic ways to make money using Foap. The first is by uploading photos and waiting for someone to purchase them. The more images you upload and the higher the quality of your photos, the more chances you have of making a sale.
Foap sets the sales rate at $10 for all photos. When one of your photos sells, the company takes 50% in commission and you get to keep the remaining 50%. This means that you’ll make $5 for every photo you sell.
The other way you can make money is through the “Missions” tab. Companies post missions on Foap that pay far more than simply uploading a photo. The missions provide instructions and you need to upload photos that fit this criteria. At the end of the mission, winners are chosen and they receive the payout.
Some missions pay up to $200 or more. This is highly lucrative for amateur photographers, but there are no guarantees that you will win. You can increase your chances by carefully reading through the mission criteria and ensuring that you cover it precisely with your photo.
There are also premium missions. These offer the chance to win far more, with prizes of up to $2,000. However, to participate in Premium missions you need Foap coins. This is a platform currency that you can purchase or earn them watching ads.
This places the earning potential in your own hands. The more photos you upload and the more missions you enter, the greater your chances of making some serious cash.
While some people make just $5 or $10 per month, other users are making $4,000 or more per year.
Ways to Maximize Your Foap Earnings
Since there is no consistency for minimum or maximum earnings, it is in your own hands to maximize your Foap earnings. There are a number of ways to boost your potential earnings including:
Take Lots of Photos:
The more photos you have on the marketplace, the greater your chances of making a sale. You should also aim to participate in as many missions as you are able to. You will also need to ensure that all your photos have good captions and tags to attract the attention of potential buyers.
Keep Improving Your Photography Skills:
Foap customers appreciate good quality photos, so keep trying to improve your photography skills. If you’re a newbie, research basic photography techniques and tips. Even if you have some photography experience, take a little time to browse the photos that are currently selling to see whether they use more advanced photography techniques.
Use Photo Editing Software:
While heavy filters and editing is not typically a good idea, downloading a simple editing software will allow you to touch up your pictures a little. Simple things like adding a basic filter or changing the saturation can make a real difference to your photos, so they have the wow factor of a professional image.
Look at What Others Are Selling:
As with most marketplace platforms and apps, there are selling trends. So, if you want to maximize your earnings, aim to cater to these trends. You can also look at Foap review comments to see if potential buyers are looking for specific photos that are not currently being catered to.
Give it Some Time:
Remember that while Foap is designed to offer casual users the chance to earn some cash selling their photos, if you want to make a decent income, you will need to put the time in. In addition to uploading photos, you’ll need to research keywords and tags, follow trends and participate in missions. The more time and effort you put into Foap, the greater your chances of developing a solid side hustle.
The more time and effort you put into your Foap account, the greater the potential income.
Is Foap Legit?
Foap has been operating since 2012, but it is still a small platform. This is a stock website that allows amateur or professional photographers to make some cash with buyers online.
What makes this platform a little different from other photography sites is that the prices are set. Regardless of the image, it will be available to buyers for $10 and you’ll earn $5. Other platforms allow you to earn anywhere from 30% to 80% of the sales price. Additionally, while the percentage may be more, you may struggle to earn $5.
As with a lot of apps, Foap does not have an active profile with the Better Business Bureau. However, the app does have some solid ratings.
|Google Play||3.4 out of 5|
|Apple App Store||4.5 out of 5|
Of course, there are no earnings guarantees. You’ll need to work hard and upload plenty of photos and participate in missions, yet you may still struggle to earn some cash. However, there are no barriers to entry.
You don’t need to have professional photography experience or even costly photography equipment. So, if you’re a keen amateur, you can upload photos, get critique and maybe make some sales.
Foap Pros and Cons
- Foap Handles All Sales: The platform will sell your content and simply take a 50% commission. This is a far better rate than many stock photography platforms.
- Missions and Contests: You can boost your earrings for your photographs and videos with the missions. These have prizes of up to $2,000, depending on whether it is a standard or premium mission.
- User Friendly App: You can do everything through the app, from uploading content to managing your earnings. This is easy to use and accessible for all.
- Free Registration: There are no fees to join or upload your content. You only pay commission on any sales.
- No Requirements for DSLR Images: Unlike many stock photo platforms, there are no requirements for DSLR images. Foap photos simply need to be at least 1280×960 pixels. This allows you to even use iPhone images.
- Need the App: This is completely app based, so you do need a compatible smartphone to be able to use the app. This can be frustrating for the older generation of photographers, who prefer a more old school approach.
- High Competition: There are a lot of users on the platform. This makes it more challenging when you’re worrying about how to make money on Foap. Additionally, some unscrupulous users may downvote other people’s content to try to cut down the competition.
- Not Possible to Upload Multiple Images: You can only upload one file at a time, which can be frustrating if you have multiple images that you want to put on the app. Not being able to upload multiple images can make it a slow process.
- No BBB Rating: The Better Business Bureau would be the best way to determine if Foap is safe. Unfortunately, the app does not have an active BBB profile or rating.
- Payment Delay: Funds for any content you sell are typically transferred after one full month. This can be a pain, as you need to wait to claim your earnings.
This platform is not unique, as there are alternative platforms and websites that also allow photographers to sell their photos and or videos.
|Payment Method||PayPal Only||PayPal or Stripe||Paypal, Payoneer, or Skrill||PayPal or Check|
|Increased Earning Potential||Missions||Exclusive assignments||Custom Images||Earn a higher rate the more you sell|
How Do I Withdraw Money From FOAP?
The Foap app is very user friendly, so you can access all the platform features directly without needing to log onto a separate website. You’ll receive a notification each time you sell one of your photos.
This platform only offers PayPal as a withdrawal method. To withdraw your earnings from Foap, you simply need to:
- Click on the “Withdraw Money” link under the menu button.
- Select “Withdraw Now”
- Confirm your PayPal email address.
Just bear in mind that there is a payment processing delay. Funds are typically transferred the first week after one month has passed. So, if you request a payment on May 2nd, you’re likely to receive your funds in the first week of June.
Can you make money on Foap?
It is possible to make money on foap if you have good quality content that is in demand. You can also participate in missions, with the potential to win up to $2,000. Even if you don’t win a mission, companies often purchase other submissions.
How do you become successful on Foap?
While it is possible to sell photos and videos on Foap, if you want to be successful, you’ll need to upload a lot of content, tag the pictures with appropriate keywords, engage with the community and only upload high quality content. You should also participate in as many missions as possible.
What type of photos sell best?
Although you can check out what is currently selling, the best selling photos typically have some characteristics in common. This includes single shots, wide shots, unidentified subjects and the subject looking away from the camera. Of course, you will need to do some experimentation and participate in the community.