DollarBreak is reader-supported with the goal to become the ultimate practical resource for making money online. When you sign up or buy through links on this post, we may receive compensation. Disclosure.
- Earn from $15 per hour for children care, dog walking or seniors care
- Real-time payments – takes less then 30 minutes
- Get access to retirement benefits, unemployment insurance and worker’s compensation
- Care.com provides affordable health and dental plans
- You must respond back to all messages within a 24-hour period
- Need premium account to responds to job posts – $20/month
Best Sites to Earn Some Pocket Money
$1 sign up bonus
$0.50-$3 on average per survey + Branded Elite Program – extra points for active members
Average survey length is 15 min and minimum payout is $10
On average, earn up to $20 each month
Survey times vary – 10 min to 20 min
Surveys are available in 40+ countries
What is Care.com & How Does it Work?
Care.com is one of the world’s largest online platforms connecting families with caregivers and caring companies.
The platform offers a diversity of services to families seeking for caregivers. This ultimately translates into a variety of care services you can provide as a caregiver.
Jobs you can find through Care.com:
- Babysitting jobs – part-time babysitting, summer job, after school babysitting, language-specific babysitting, toddler babysitting.
- Child care jobs – before school child care, in-home child care, mothers helper job, religious child care, etc.
- Nanny jobs – part-time, full-time, live-in, overnight, college, etc.
- Tutoring jobs – homeschooling, after school tutoring, foreign language tutoring, etc.
- Senior care jobs – companion care, nursing home, home care, health aide, etc.
- Housekeeping jobs – house cleaning, gardening, cooking, house sitting, etc.
- Special needs jobs – care for people with special needs, down syndrome, autism, etc.
- Pet care jobs – pet sitting, walking, grooming, boarding.
- Part-time jobs – after school jobs, driving jobs, night jobs, weekend jobs.
Related: 10 Sitting Jobs
The way Care.com works is simple:
- Families publish available job postings where you can apply for.
- Your profile is published for Care.com member families so they can contact you directly if they see that your services align with their needs.
Is Care.com Legit & Safe?
The company has been operating on the caregiving market, connecting families to caregivers since 2007. This alone proves the legitimacy of the company as no fraudulent company can survive this long.
Moreover, Care.com, conducting detailed screening for both caregivers and families who hire. This way they ensure that you’ll get legitimate employers while you as a caregiver provide safe services.
The platform is accredited by the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating.
But the Care.com reviews on Trustpilot aren’t really promising. The company has a rating of 1.2 out of 5-star rating with most of the people complaining that they had issues canceling their accounts.
How Much Can You Earn through Care.com?
On average, you can earn from $13.31 to $15.04 as a Care.com caregiver. Accordingly, with a regular 40-hour/week schedule you could earn $532 – $602 per week, i.e. up to $2,400 per month and $28,877 per year.
|Babysitter / Nanny||$13.68 /hour|
|Childcare Provider||$45,938 /year|
|Personal Care Assistant||$14.27 /hour|
|Household Manager||$346 /week|
|Pet Sitter||$13.69 /hour|
However, be aware that the hourly rate is totally negotiable with the families and varies depending on location and services requested. Moreover, some families may request that you provide more than one service at a time to them, which could increase your earnings as well.
Requirements for Becoming a Care.com Caregiver
- Be 18 years or older
- Have a clear criminal record
- Pass background checks
How to Become a Care.com Caregiver?
There are 2 ways you can get jobs as a caregiver through Care.com.
The first one is pretty simple: just browse the open caregiver jobs and provide required information about you. While this way is the easiest one, it only offers a limited number of jobs, which are posted by the company and are mostly on a remote basis.
On the other hand, when you become a Care.com member, you’ll be able to browse jobs posted by families and contact them directly.
Here’s the step-by-step guide to becoming a Care.com member:
Step 1 – Join the Care.com Platform
First step to starting your caregiver career on Care.com is to join the platform. Simply make sure you select “Apply to jobs” under the question “What would you like to do?”.
After you select that, you’ll need to select what services you offer and create an account.
Step 2 – Create Your Caregiver Profile
Once you have created your login details, you’ll be redirected to a page where you need to create your caregiver profile.
At this step, you’ll need to provide detailed information about you, including:
- Your personal and contact information
- Your location
- Job preferences
- Language(s) you speak
- Years of experience
- Upload your profile picture
Step 3 – Pass the Screening Process
A background check is the most important part of the Care.com screening process, known as CareCheck.
What’s included in CareCheck?
- Social Security Number trace
- National Sex Offender Public Website search
- Multi-jurisdictional criminal database search
- Federal and county criminal records search
After successfully passing this process, you get a CareCheck badge which will be available on your profile for families to make sure they can trust you.
Note that Care.com pays for the background checks included in the CareCheck so you don’t have to.
Step 4 – Browse the Family Requests
Families who sign up for the Care.com seeking caregivers can post their requests on the platform so you as a caregiver can apply and contact them directly.
Just select the job that suits your skills and preferences, filter the postings by location and apply to families who you feel comfortable working with.
Care.com Memberships & Pricing
Free Basic Membership
As a Free Basic Member, you’re not charged anything. Not even a commission fee when you get a job through the platform.
But Basic Membership is very limited when it comes to job opportunities. You only have access to just a few jobs.
However, the company has recently updated their terms and offers newly enrolled healthcare workers and senior caregivers access to a free 30-day Premium Membership. The accessible jobs during this period include childcare, senior care and pet care positions.
The Company today announced that effective immediately, newly enrolling healthcare workers and those looking for senior care will have access to a free 30-day premium membership to Care.com, through which they can find an array of care support including childcare, senior care, and pet care
A Care.com Premium Membership comes with some benefits for a monthly fee of $20.
Perks of Care.com Premium Membership:
- Your profile will appear highlighted in the search results.
- Rank higher in the search results.
- Receive priority email notification when new jobs are available. These notifications arrive hours before Free Basic Members receive them.
- Check which families have viewed your profile.
Care.com Pros & Cons
- No fees when you get a job through Care.com.
- Get paid in cash.
- Affordable premium membership.
- Premium membership renews without a warning.
- You need a premium account to respond to job posts – $20/month.
Care.com vs. SitterCity
Sittercity is completely free for caregivers. The only difference between Care.com and SitterCity is that SitterCity only features 5 types of jobs – babysitter, nanny, pet care provider, care companion and housekeeper.
On the other hand, Care.com offers the services SitterCity does, plus tutoring and caregiving for people with special needs.
Care.com vs. UrbanSitter
UrbanSitter is a popular alternative to Care.com when it comes to babysitting. However, that’s the only service UrbanSitter offers to families, while with Care.com you can work in many different categories – you can be a nanny, a tutor, a pet sitter or an elder people companion.
Care.com vs. GreatAuPair.com
GreatAuPair.com is a company that provides you jobs as a babysitter, a nanny, a pet sitter, a housekeeper or a senior care companion. Basically, GreatAuPair.com is a direct alternative to Care.com.
But unlike Care.com, GreatAuPair.com takes care of your hiring process and also gives you an opportunity to work abroad.
Is Care.com Worth It?
As Care.com is one of the largest platforms connecting you with families who need your help as a caregiver, I would say it’s totally worth listing your profile over there.
However, the biggest downside Care.com has is that premium membership renews automatically, without reminding you of it. If you check out TrustPilot reviews about Care.com, you’ll see that people not only complain but also call the company a scam because of it.
But even this downside may mean nothing to you if you stick with the free basic membership. If you decide to purchase a Premium Membership, you could mark the membership renewal date on your calendar and cancel it before renewal when you no longer need to use it.