Amazon Flex Review
Amazon Flex is a one of the top platforms you can join to earn a side income as a delivery driver. As an Amazon Flex delivery driver, you will use your own vehicle to delivery packages from Amazon to customers. You can also turn it into a full-time job if there is high enough demand in your area. With Amazon Flex, you can also expect to earn a relatively high $18 to $25 per hour on average.
- High earnings potential – according to the company, drivers can stand to earn a relatively high wage of between $18 to $25 per hour on average.
- Flexible working hours – take on up to 7 delivery blocks per week or just do 1 or 2 delivery blocks when you have free time to earn some extra cash.
- Boost your earnings with tips – you can increase your earnings by providing good customer service as you get to keep 100% of all customer tips.
- Cancellation flexibility – if you aren’t free at the last minute, you can cancel a delivery block up to 45 minutes before it starts with no penalties.
- Cannot delivery with motorcycles – you must use either a 4 door, mid-sized sedan or larger for Amazon orders and any car for Prime Now orders.
- Vehicle expenses not covered – you will have to pay for your own vehicle expenses such as fuel costs, which can be up to $20 or more per block.
Jump to: Full Review
Compare to Other Delivery Driver Jobs
Earn $25 per hour plus keep 100% of your tips (4000 cities in USA)
You can use any mode of transportation: your car, bicycle or motorcycle
You have the freedom to pick and choose which orders you want to accept
Experienced delivery drivers can earn up to $21 per hour ($13 on average)
Choose when you want to work based on your schedule in 1000 cities
Delivery snacks, drinks, grocery, quick meals, cleaning supplies and more
How Does Amazon Flex Work?
- Get access to delivery requests with each delivery having a time slot allotted and you need to deliver the order within that time frame.
- Schedule your work in blocks through the app
- Get access to “instant offers” which you can deliver in addition to your block
- Get paid for the work
Note that Amazon Flex doesn’t offer much flexibility in schedule, because you’ll be working in your own regular shifts of 8 hours.
How Much Money Can You Make With Amazon Flex?
As Amazon Flex states on its website, you can earn up to $18 – $25 hourly during your regular shift.
Plus, since you’re providing a service, customers may leave you tips for providing them excellent service.
Who is Amazon Flex Best for?
Amazon Flex is best for drivers who want to make extra money delivering Amazon products.
Amazon Flex Benefits: What Does Amazon Offer?
With Amazon Flex, you choose when you want to work and when you want to rest. This allows you to create your own personalized working schedule.
Maximize your earnings
Amazon Flex allows you to get over 6% cashback on all fuel purchases, 2% cashback on Amazon.com and Whole Foods Market purchases, and 1% cashback on all other purchases
Amazon Flex’s Preferred Scheduling is designed to give you more control over your schedule. This includes unlocking rewards level 2 so you can set your preferred station, day of week and time of day in the Amazon Flex app.
With Amazon Flex’s featured discounts on gas, tires and auto maintenance, you can save some money.
Navigate insurance and tax
Amazon Flex allows you to access tools that will help you navigate things like health, accident and life insurance.You can also use it to track expenses and file taxes with ease.
The app is very simple to use. You only need to fill in the registration form to get started. No need to pass long interviews.
Amazon Flex Requirements
In order to get accepted as an Amazon Flex driver, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be 21 years or older
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Live in a city where Amazon Flex is recruiting
- You must own a large vehicle that can carry delivery packages
- Have a valid car insurance
- Have a smartphone (iOS 13 / Android 6.0 or newer)
- Pass a background check
Amazon Flex Costs to Consider
While Amazon Flex is free to download and apply, you must cater for the cost of the gas. You are also responsible for fuel, maintenance and insurance costs of the vehicle.
Amazon Flex Payout Terms and Options?
Amazon Flex processes payments twice every week. The payment days are Tuesdays and Fridays, and standard delivery drivers are paid based on their most recent deliveries.
If you are driving for Amazon Restaurants or Prime Now, you’ll be paid after their tips are processed. Regardless of what you are driving for, your payments will be made via direct deposit.
Amazon Flex Reviews: is Amazon Flex Legit?
Amazon Flex is as legit and reliable as it gets. This is a service that’s provided by Amazon, so there’s no risk for fraud. 64% of Amazon Flex workers on Glassdoor state that they would recommend the job to their friends.
Rated 1.6 on Trustpilot and 4.6 on App store, most users described the platform as the best place to make extra income. Regarding negative reviews, workers complained that they would rather get more work during their shifts.
Other users didn’t like the fact that they couldn’t talk directly to the support as the only way to contact them is through email. Overall, Amazon Flex is a good platform that provides you with the opportunity to make extra money.
Actual Amazon Flex earnings may differ depending on factors like number of deliveries completed, time of day, location, and expenses.
Where is Amazon Flex Available?
Amazon Flex recruits delivery drivers in 24 states and over 50 cities within the US. The table below shows all the Amazon Flex available locations.
|California||Greater Los Angeles area / San Diego / San Francisco Bay Area|
|Florida||Gainesville / Jacksonville / Lakeland-Winter Haven / Marianna – Cottondale / Miami – West Palm Beach / Orlando / Pensacola / Tampa-St. Pete|
|Georgia||Atlanta / Savannah|
|Indiana||Evansville / Fort WayneIndianapolis|
|Michigan||Detroit / Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo / Saginaw|
|Missouri||Joplin / Springfield / St. Louis|
|North Carolina||Greensboro / Raleigh / Wilmington|
|Ohio||Akron / Cleveland / Columbus / Dayton|
|Oregon||Eugene / Portland|
|South Carolina||Asheville / Charleston / Columbia / Greenville / Spartanburg|
|South Dakota||Sioux Falls|
|Texas||Austin / Dallas – Ft. Worth / Houston / San Antonio|
|Washington||Everett / Greater Seattle Area / Kitsap County|
|Wisconsin||Appleton / Milwaukee|
If your city isn’t listed above, you can still download the app and sign up. Once Amazon Flex is available in your location, Amazon will notify you about it.
Amazon Flex Pros & Cons
Amazon Flex Pros
- Easy to get hired. No interview, just a background check
- You’re an independent contractor. No taxes are taken out of pay
- Tips. Although optional, many customers leave tips)
- Flexible schedule – work your own hours
Amazon Flex Cons
- Not steady income
- You’re responsible for paying car-related expenses
How Good is Amazon Support and Knowledge Base?
Apart from Amazon Flex’s comprehensive frequently asked questions page, you can contact them at 888 282 6906 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Amazon Flex Review Verdict: is Amazon Flex Worth It?
Amazon Flex is a great option if you want to work a few hours at a time and earn consistent money doing so. While there are challenges that come with delivery jobs, Amazon Flex seems to be one of the most popular delivery options for independent contractors.
There is no commitment once signed up as a driver, so if you are unsure if this is a good option for you, we recommend giving it a try. If you’re looking for a delivery driver job that allows you to work on your schedule as an independent contractor, I’d say it’s totally worth your consideration.
How to Start Earning With Amazon Flex?
Registering for Amazon Flex is simple. Here’s the step-by-step guide to get started:
Step 1: Download the App
Step 2: Register as a Driver
Next, you’ll be required to make a registration. You can only do this using the app.
At this step, you’ll be required to fill out the information about yourself, including your personal and contact information, availability, and your banking information for direct deposits.
Step 3: Consent to a Background Check
Once you’ve filled out all the information, Amazon Flex will also require you to consent to a background check. The company will run this check themselves to make sure you have a clear criminal record.
Sign Up for Amazon Flex Deliveries
After you’re approved, you’ll see deliveries you can schedule on the app. Shifts at Amazon Flex are called blocks and are typically 3-6 hours long.
You can pick up blocks in 2 ways:
- Claim shifts Amazon Flex app offers you. The app will periodically send you the shift offers that match your availability. Simply navigate to the Calendar section of your app to access shifts. Note that these opportunities may expire, so if you like the shift, you should pick it up as soon as you can.
- Score hours on short notice. This option allows you to find same-day opportunities, which you can find under the “Check Available Blocks” section. These blocks appear up to 24 hours before the shift begins and any delivery driver can schedule them. So this option is first-come, first served.
Amazon Flex Delivery Shift Details
There are different types of delivery shifts available. Let’s take a look at what your blocks could look like:
- Store orders – you will pick up the items from a local store in 2-6-hour blocks.
- Packages – you need to pick up the packages from a local Amazon delivery station and deliver them to the customers.
- Prime Now and Amazon Fresh – you need to pick up household items and groceries from any local Amazon delivery station in 2-4 hour blocks.
- Instant offers – are available only in certain areas. The deliveries usually last for 15-45 minutes and start near your current location.
Sign up for a couple of delivery services to maximize your earning potential. This way, you can switch between the apps and deliver for the app that has higher demand at that moment.
Sites Like Amazon Flex
|Pay per hour||$18 – $25||$20||$12 to $13||13|
|Pay Schedule||Tuesdays, Fridays||Weekly||Thursdays||Wednesdays|
|Best for||Products delivery||Food delivery||Food delivery||Delivery services|
Amazon Flex vs. Doordash
Doordash is a food delivery service that also recruits independent contractors to deliver orders. Compared to Amazon Flex, Doordash limits its drivers from working when the demand for deliveries drops. This reason alone makes Doordash a less reliable option than Amazon Flex.
Amazon Flex vs. Grubhub
GrubHub is a gig worker’s app that allows you to make extra money delivering various household products. Like Amazon Flex, Grubhub is free to sign up and use. Both platforms also require you to have a valid driving license.
While Amazon Flex recruits delivery drivers in 24 states and over 50 cities within the US, GrubHub is available worldwide. Otherwise, Given that both platforms have pros and cons you can choose one based on your needs.
Amazon Flex vs. GoPuff
GoPuff is another delivery service that lets customers order food, snacks, alcohol, and everyday essentials. Like Amazon Flex, GoPuff has central pickup locations for drivers.
This is exactly like picking up packages from a warehouse. GoPuff also allows you to earn between $7 and $16 per hour and keep 100 percent of tips compared to Amazon Flex’s $18 – $25 hourly payment. While Amazon Flex pays twice a week, GoPuff pays weekly
Amazon Flex vs. Instacart
Instacart is also a gig economy job service provider that operates in the US. However, unlike Amazon Flex, Instacart focuses only on grocery deliveries. On the other hand, Amazon Flex has a lot more delivery options, meaning there might be more opportunities for you to be busy and earn more money.
Amazon Flex vs. Postmates
Postmates is one of the largest food delivery service providers within the United States that also allows you to work as an independent contractor and deliver food to customers’ doorsteps. But when we compare the payout of each service, you can earn more with Amazon Flex ($18 – $25 per hour) than with Postmates ($4 per order).
Other Sites Like Amazon Flex
Alternative Gig Economy Jobs
Amazon Flex FAQ
What is Amazon Flex?
Amazon Flex is a courier service offered by Amazon that allows you as a driver to deliver Amazon orders to their customers’ doorsteps. Started in 2015, the platform has since expanded to every U.S. state, Canada, and parts of Asia, Europe, and the Middle East.
As an Amazon Flex driver, you’ll be delivering orders for various Amazon products, including:
- Amazon Fresh
- Prime Now
Do Amazon Flex drivers make good money?
Obviously, Amazon Flex can’t make you rich. However, it offers one of the highest payouts on the market – $18-$25 per hour.
Does Amazon Flex pay for gas?
No, Amazon flex does not pay for gas. You are responsible for your own vehicle costs including gas.
How much can you make a day with Amazon Flex?
How much you can make per day delivering Amazon orders depends on how many hours you’ll work daily. If you work only 4 hours a day, you’d be earning up to $100, whereas if you work for 8 hours, you can earn up to $200 per day.
How many Amazon Flex blocks can you do in a day?
The daily limit of Amazon flex blocks you can take per day is 9.